True?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True?

I've been reading posts here and I read that if you position your fuel petcock lever halfway between on and reserve, this would be similar to an "off" position. True or not?

I for one never tried any thing like that but i now have a burning curiosity as to why you want to know the answer to that question--

Comment

Hmmm Scotty, I deduce that the petcock is leaking fuel into the intakes or air filter and this is a possible way around the problem. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by slopoke
      I for one never tried any thing like that but i now have a burning curiosity as to why you want to know the answer to that question--
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Been reading lots of horror stories about fuel leaking through and getting into the crankcase, I guess. I've never owned a bike that didn't have an "off" postion on the petcock. Perhaps being a bit anal about reinsuring that no fuel will flow unless I want it to.

Comment

Some of the members have installed an additional on/off inline valve in the fuel line between the percock and carbs.

Earl

Originally posted by suz81
          Been reading lots of horror stories about fuel leaking through and getting into the crankcase, I guess. I've never owned a bike that didn't have an "off" postion on the petcock. Perhaps being a bit anal about reinsuring that no fuel will flow unless I want it to.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by suz81
            I'm paranoid about that too. I went to the local tractor supply and bought an inline shut off valve for $4.95 and mounted it right after the petcock and I don't take chances. I always shut off the valve when parking it.

Comment

As to your original question, I believe if you put your switch in between ON and RES it should shut it off, as it would not align either of the 2 holes in the valve.

Comment

Maybe it's just luck, but I've never had a problem in 20 years with the petcock. I always leave it in the "on" position.

Comment

Better lucky then good right.

Comment

Working...
                  X