Triple tree disassembly GS1100EZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triple tree disassembly GS1100EZ

I need to disassemble the triple tree off my 1100 EZ. Is the bearing post/shaft pressed in? or threaded in?

Herman

I know the gsxr's are pressed in. Have never done one for a gs

Comment

Originally posted by madjack57754 View Post
      I know the gsxr's are pressed in. Have never done one for a gs
      That's what I found today. I pressed out the GSXR shaft and want to use the steel GS1100 shaft so the bearing height and diameter are easier to deal with on the front end swap. GSXR slid out with reasonable force and no galling. The steel shaft just will not come out of the GS lower plate.

Herman

Comment

The bearings are pressed in. The upper bearing comes out without special tools. In my '80 GS1100ET factory manual the following is illustrated:

It will probably work similarly for your bike. You may be able to get by without the exact special tools by using drifts, etc., but the bearing parts require tools for removal.

Comment

After thinking about this, if I remember right, the post is pressed in and solid.
          I replaced the bearings in my front end of the 83 1100ED and was able to remove the bearing without any "factory" tools.
          You can drift out the upper bearing, while the lower is a bear, it can be done.
          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
          2000 Kawasaki Concours
          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks View Post
            The bearings are pressed in. The upper bearing comes out without special tools. In my '80 GS1100ET factory manual the following is illustrated:

It will probably work similarly for your bike. You may be able to get by without the exact special tools by using drifts, etc., but the bearing parts require tools for removal.
            Thanks for the diagrams. The bearings are no problem. I'm one step further. I want to get the steering stem seperated from the lower triple plate. Does the manual say if it's pressed together or threaded?

Comment

It's pressed in. I cut enough of a slot to weaken the hold of the aluminium on the steel and I was able to press them apart.

Thanks for the feedback guys

Comment

Working...
              X