how to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to

hi how do you measure float hieghts on a gsx550e 1983 i know they should be 20.5 mm but from were to were cheers andy

You hold the carb upside down and allow the tang on the float to just touch the tip of the needle valve. Measure the distance between the carb body and the bottom of the float (which is now facing upward. I take a square of the heavy paper retailers use to package products for display on racks. Then measure and mark one corner with the float height. Cut out the corner and then place it on the bottom of the float. As you move the float toward the needle valve the paper should touch the carb body as the tanf touches the float valve.

NEVER ALLOW THE FLOAT TO PUT ANYTHING MORE THAN ITS OWN WEIGHT ON THE VALVE. DO NOT PUSH ON THE FLOAT TO REDUCE YOUR FLOAT HEIGHT TO SPEC. THE NEEDLE AND SEAT CAN BE DAMAGED BEYOND REPAIR BY THE SLIGHTEST FORCE.

Comment

Originally posted by fgh View Post
      NEVER ALLOW THE FLOAT TO PUT ANYTHING MORE THAN ITS OWN WEIGHT ON THE VALVE. DO NOT PUSH ON THE FLOAT TO REDUCE YOUR FLOAT HEIGHT TO SPEC. THE NEEDLE AND SEAT CAN BE DAMAGED BEYOND REPAIR BY THE SLIGHTEST FORCE.

Seriously? I wish I knew that before hand....

Comment

Measured with the float bowl gasket removed

Comment

And checked after installation at 2000 rpm with a float level gauge
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
          X