Handlebar and cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handlebar and cables

I am looking to change my 550L to cafe style. I was wondering what size handlebar to go with and do I need to shorten all of my cables?

I didn't do 'cafe', I just did 'Daytona' bars... but, instead of all the trouble of paying to shorten my cables, just find a way to make loops or reroute them to take up a bit more length.

There are others who may be able to tell you how to special-order cables to-length, but i don't know that it was worth it to me.

I'm sure it would look more 'professional' if I were to do it, but honestly, i have better ways to spend my money. So long as you don't put any sharp bends or kinks in the cable it should be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeywrench View Post
      I am looking to change my 550L to cafe style. I was wondering what size handlebar to go with and do I need to shorten all of my cables?
      I put on superbike bars and shortened my brake lines. They were original so they needed replacement anyway making it worth the effort. I'm not unhappy about the throttle cable but the clutch does seem too long and there's not a whole lot of room on these bikes to lose and reroute cable.

I'm hoping to see someone post where you can get custom clutch and throttle cables made because an Internet search doesn't turn up a whole lot.

Comment

I have been able to re-use old sheaths when the inner cables quit.

The old one can be shortened and the ends can often be fitted onto the shorter sheath.

The inner cable can be replaced with aircraft cable....guaranteed you will never exert enough force to hurt it and even stretching it is very difficult.

The ends are easy...a piece of brass tubing, of suitable diameter, a small drill bit to suit the cable size.

You push the cable into the fitting, splay the ends until it looks badly frayed, then pull the ends back into the fitting and fill it completely with solder.

Doing this requires a small trick: you allow for the distance between the acess hole and the end of the fitting, push the cable through and then make a 90-degree bend in the cable at that point. Then splay the ends.
        This gives a straight movement of the finished cable, and makes for a stronger bind inside the fitting.
        Last edited by argonsagas; 12-12-2006, 07:21 PM.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

"E" model cables will be shorter than the "L" model cables. Not sure how much shorter. If 550 Katana cables have the same connectors on the ends, they will be even shorter.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
            "E" model cables will be shorter than the "L" model cables. Not sure how much shorter. If 550 Katana cables have the same connectors on the ends, they will be even shorter.
            I like that idea. I will try to find "E" model cables. Thanks.

Comment

Why not the GS550M? (Katana) - assuming you have CV carbs. These cables are shorter than the E cables and should be closer to what you need.
              Last edited by Nessism; 12-13-2006, 02:47 PM.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have a 79 550L and i was able to flip some super bike bars (kinda cafe) and re route the cable's to accomodate the shorter bars. It worked out fine for me. But if you not worried about spending the cash on some E model cables it would probably clean it up even more - the clutch cable is going to give you the biggest hassle but it can be done.

There are a few pics of my conversion so far in bhppy101's 550 cafe project thread - good luck man.

Comment

I went from stock 850G sit-up-and-beg bars to superbike bars and kept the same lines and cables. I actually put a loop in my braided brake line where it comes out of the master cylinder; did not look bad at all. The advantage is that you can go back to stock or do something in between anytime without replacing everything, bleeding the brake line, etc. I have a set closer to European style now and still the same controls.
                  Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

I went with Euro bars and kept the cables.

Comment

Thanks all for the info. I guess I will stick with my existing cables and go with a euro bar or superbike bar.:-D

Comment

So what is the verdict on the size...no one answered that I have a 79 gs550L too and the angle of the throttle kills my wrist. How do I measure the bar to be sure I'm getting the right diameter?

Comment

It's 7/8ths.

Cables can be rerouted to firt unless you go extreme. Like clubmans.

Comment

I tried switching out the buckhorn bars on my 79 GS750L and the cable lengths ended up ok, but my throttle would stick. What's up with that? I am sure the diameter was correct. I put original E series bars on it.

Comment

Originally posted by ryonker View Post
                              I tried switching out the buckhorn bars on my 79 GS750L and the cable lengths ended up ok, but my throttle would stick. What's up with that? I am sure the diameter was correct. I put original E series bars on it.
                              Look for a place where the cable sheath turns too sharply or is pulled too tightly. Perhaps around the steering head area?

Kink in the sheath, or a place where it's been pinched or smashed

Or just an old worn cable?
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X