1978 Gs750 Running To Rich. I Smell Like Fumes After Riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 Gs750 Running To Rich. I Smell Like Fumes After Riding

AFTER MY BIKE HAD SAT FOR 8 YEARS I HAD MY CARBURETORS REBUILT, AND RE SYNCHED. THIS ALL OCCURED LAST YEAR. I RODE THE BIKE ALL LAST YEAR BUT IT ALWAYS SEEMED TO BE RUNNING RICH. I ALWAYS HAD A "HINT" OF PERFUM DE EXHAUST. I GUESS MY QUESTION IS, WHAT SHOUD MY AIR MIXTURE SCREWS BE SET TO. I NEED TO LEAN IT DOWN.

Re: 1978 Gs750 Running To Rich. I Smell Like Fumes After Rid

Originally posted by jforbush
    AFTER MY BIKE HAD SAT FOR 8 YEARS I HAD MY CARBURETORS REBUILT, AND RE SYNCHED. THIS ALL OCCURED LAST YEAR. I RODE THE BIKE ALL LAST YEAR BUT IT ALWAYS SEEMED TO BE RUNNING RICH. I ALWAYS HAD A "HINT" OF PERFUM DE EXHAUST. I GUESS MY QUESTION IS, WHAT SHOUD MY AIR MIXTURE SCREWS BE SET TO. I NEED TO LEAN IT DOWN.
    I think all you will get here is what people use on their bikes (air mix screws). What your bike is supposed to be set at will be unique to your bike. Just lean it out a 1/4 trun at a time until you are satisfied.

Good luck

Comment

I UNDERSTAND EVERYON WILL GIVE THEIR OPINIONS AS TO WHERE HEY SHOULD BE, BUT WHAT WOULD A GOOD STARTING POINT BE. I'LL START TWEAKING FROM THERE

Comment

here is what I have been told

I have the same problem and am still trying to tweak out the carbs, but here is what a fellow member told me:

the old slide carbs are pretty reliable. Check float level, Check the jet sizes? may have been rejetted at some point during it's life. Also check the petcock. If the petcock vacuun diaphram is bad it can draw excess fuel into the #3 cylinder (#2 on the vacuum type carbs.) Air screw on side of carb turned out 1.5-2 turns. Fuel screw underneith carb about 1 turn as a starting point for 1&4 1.1 for 2&3

Another thing to remember is these settings are just for idle, past about 2000 RPM you pull off the main jet, adjusting this requires changing the jet!

Oh and by the way I never have gotten mine quite right, so you are being lead by the blind!

Comment

the setting I posted normally would put you in the ball park. Check the float level if it is set too high it will run rich Try to lower the float level maybe 1 mm from stock setting Check the spark plug color.

Comment

As for air mixture screws,after the bike is at normal running temp,you adjust all four to achieve highest rpm,about 2 1/2 turns out.( on my GS1000)
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Here is another solution that is a little different. I used to come home smelling like vapor too. When I put on my pod filter I left the crank case vent wide open to spray oil vapor all over the top of the motor. So I customed a catch can and all is well again.

Comment

Working...
              X