Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS750EC Fork question

Help!!

Since the fork seals leak on my 78 GS750EC I'm in the process of changing my fork seals and oil.

I have removed the forks from the bike, cleaned up the exterior, and drained the fork oil.

Now I'm attempting to remove the large chorme nut on the top end of the upper fork shaft. I have a feeling this has not been done since the bike was built.

I have padded my bench vice with leather so I can hold the shaft while trying to loosen the nut without damaging the chrome. I have cleaned all oil from the surface of the shaft to help eliminate slipping however the shaft still wants to turn and slip in the vice jaws as I'm turning the nut. I'm afraid to clamp down real hard on my vice for fear of crushing or egg shaping the shaft. I can't tell how thick the metal is in the shaft to determine how heavy I can go with the pressure on my vice.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Am I overly concerned about crushing the shaft? Does anyone have any tricks for holding the fork shaft safely and securelly while loosening these nuts?

I appreciate anyones wisdom on the subject.

THANKS!!

Harold (GS750 GUY)

Slide it back in the triple trees, tighten the bolts and crack it loose. Then remove and continue
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

As many times as I've done fork seals I often forget to loosen the caps before removing the forks. They can stand a bit of pressure in a vice but only go as much as your comfortable with. I'll usually not go far and will reinstall the fork so the triple clamps will hold it.

Comment

Harold, Big T has got it right. Use the triple trees to hold the tubes while you loosen the caps.

Comment

Fork question.

Thanks guys!!
          That worked like a charm. I should have thought of that before pulling the forks. I even notice my Haynes manual does not mention loosening these nuts first before pulling the forks.

Harold

Comment

Working...
          X