Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550ex gear selector oil seal leak

Hi I am in the UK,

My GS550ex has developed a bad oil leak from the gear selector seal. Is it a big job to replace? How do I do it and where can I get the parts?

thanks for any help.

Hi fellow UK rider!:-D
    This is quite easy and cheap to replace. I think the job involves little more than draining the oil, prising out the old seal, and tapping in the new one using a suitable size socket.
    These cost under £3.00
    Go to www.wemoto.co.uk

Comment

Cheers for that mate, however, how do I get the seal out without removing the shaft? Any tips? cut it maybe?

Comment

Double check to make sure that oil leak is not coming from the clutch pushrod seal. This is much more likely to fail and can be misdiagnosed. Oil could just be running down the case and dripping on your shift shaft. If you overdue the chain lube the same thing can happen. Oil is flung off on to the shift shaft and runs out the front.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclepath View Post
          Cheers for that mate, however, how do I get the seal out without removing the shaft? Any tips? cut it maybe?
          I remember doing one of these on a GS450. I prized the old one out with a small sharp flat bladed screwdriver, being careful not to damage the hole in the casing. I would also recommend cleaning the splines on the shaft (Obviously you need to remove the gearchange linkage) and using some thin sticky tape around the splines so there is no risk of damaging the seal when you slide it over the shaft. I also used a thin smear of gasket sealant round the outside of the seal. If you do this, clean the area where the seal fits in the hole with some meths first. Hope this helps.
          Good luck! By the way, where in the UK are you?:-D

Comment

Cheers guys, clutch push rod is leaking too but not so bad lol. Will check it out tomorrow if I can get a new seal, Wemoto don't have them listed so I've sent them a message......

Btw...I am in Leicestershire...you?

Comment

Cheers guys, clutch push rod is leaking too but not so bad lol. Will check it out tomorrow if I can get a new seal, Wemoto don't have them listed so I've sent them a message......

Btw...I am in Leicestershire...you?
              I'm in Clacton On Sea, Essex, only about 150 miles from you!

Comment

Do yourself a favor - Replace Both of the seals

Comment

Wemoto don't have the seals, anyone know another supplier?

You are right of course, I should replace both.

Comment

Cyclepath have you tried your 'friendly neighborhhood Suzuki dealer'? Both of those seals should be available.

Another alternative is when you pull the seals, drill a couple very small holes opposite each other in the seal, then screw in small machine screws use a couple of pairs of pliers and pull the seals out. Take them to a bearing shop and see if they can match'em up for you.

If that doesn't help you can always order them from Bike Bandit here in the USA but shipping might be a killer.

Comment

Wemoto don't have the seals, anyone know another supplier?

You are right of course, I should replace both.
                      Redcar motorcycles should be able to get you this part, and they are in your area, Leicester.
                      Trouble is, they are now closed for their Xmas break. Sod's law!
                      They have a website - www.redcarmotorcycles.co.uk
                      They are extremely helpful, when they are open!8-[

Comment

Got both seals from Redcar overnight. Cheers for the tips guys.

Comment

Working...
                        X