Still won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still won't start

This is following up on my old post, this is for a '79 GS425 that won't start.
    This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

I have tried a couple of things since, car batteries, charging the battery, etc.

I have measured voltage across the coils and there seems to be a one volt drop. I will try a fresh battery, but does anyone know if a new set of coils + electronic ignition would be a good bet? Dyna makes one for the GS400, could I assume that it would work on the GS425 (since I haven't recieved a reply to this question from them yet)? I'm pretty dead in the water here, has anyone else solved a no-start mystery like this one?

Thanks again![-o<
    -Justin

Did you do your spark check with new plugs? If so, your next place to check is the points and make sure that they open when the engine is turned over. If the gap has closed this could be the cause of your no start. If you have a gap, check for a low volage spark by activating the points with a screw driver blade. You should see a small spark. If no spark here, you need to check for a dirty contact/loose wire between the ignition and the points. Does your ignition light display on the instrument cluster when the key is switch on?
    :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Yeah, until you visually verify spark at the plug itself you're just guessing.
      All the voltage in the world is not going to help if the signal is not being sent to the plug.

Comment

Initially there was a weak spark, but that quit so I will take a looksey at the points and see if they are getting voltage. They seemed to be gapped correctly, but will check for juice.

Comment

Working...
        X