No announcement yet.

Focus Frenzy rewire??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I also ran across what I think is a great idea on a hot rod site. You can use a Bosch relay to make the low beam stay on when you switch to high beam. I have noticed that when running high beam, you lose a lot of visibility closer to the bike. This should be a nice solution for that."

I would ask advice from a few people before doing that dual filament mod.

Comment

Originally posted by sloepoke
      "I also ran across what I think is a great idea on a hot rod site. You can use a Bosch relay to make the low beam stay on when you switch to high beam. I have noticed that when running high beam, you lose a lot of visibility closer to the bike. This should be a nice solution for that."

I would ask advice from a few people before doing that dual filament mod.
      Scotty is right...that mod could be hazardous to your charging system.

Hap

Comment

Focus, did you get the CAD diagram yet? I do not know if it is my eyes or my monitor but I can barely make out your schematic.
        Thanks,

Comment

Drop in a bucket!!

Originally posted by focus frenzy
          I can also put up how to use a relay to kill power temporarily to the headlight while starting your bike, if any body is interested, this frees up 55-60 watts for spinning over the starter and firing the coils.
          I'm afraid a headlight disconnect relay would really just be like a "drop in bucket "approach.
          Put in a different prespective a headlamp draws perhaps seven amps of power whereby a starter in the act of turning the motor over draws around eighty amps or so. The headlamp dimming while cranking is solely because of the immense draw of the starter.
          Rick........

Comment

Good price but shipping and handeling is double what the parts cost

Comment

Re: Drop in a bucket!!

Originally posted by Richard Ellis
              I can also put up how to use a relay to kill power temporarily to the headlight while starting your bike, if any body is interested, this frees up 55-60 watts for spinning over the starter and firing the coils.
              I'm afraid a headlight disconnect relay would really just be like a "drop in bucket "approach.
              Put in a different prespective a headlamp draws perhaps seven amps of power whereby a starter in the act of turning the motor over draws around eighty amps or so. The headlamp dimming while cranking is solely because of the immense draw of the starter.
              Rick........
              when you factor in the size of the batteries used for these bikes, every little bit helps, the head light on low beam will draw just under 5 amps.

Comment

Rick........
                when you factor in the size of the batteries used for these bikes, every little bit helps, the head light on low beam will draw just under 5 amps.
                Hey lets talk about lights and current again.
                What is the brightest type of light bulb I can use while still maintaining a lower current drain--OR does ohms law simply always apply ---Lumination I mean

Comment

Scotty, I'm running a 55/100. No problem using the 100 watt high beam.

Comment

have a look at these, scotty. http://www.piaa.com/h4bulbs.html
                    I have the super plasma bulbs in my car, and they are definatly brighter, they put out a whiter light making them brighter, but they still use 55/60 watts.

Comment

Realys and connectors

Just a followup to my previous post regarding Bosch relays and connectors. I have received the relays and connectors and have come to the conclusion that the connectors may be too large for motorcycle use. Using the connector doubles the size of the relay. this might be fine for car applications but may make it hard to hide the relay on a bike. I am going to use individual spade connectors instead of the connectors.

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
                        Rick........
                        Hey lets talk about lights and current again.
                        What is the brightest type of light bulb I can use while still maintaining a lower current drain--OR does ohms law simply always apply ---Lumination I mean
                        Slo...All other things being equal (Between brands & not actually testing all of em) pretty much the higher the wattage rating the brighter.
                        case in point--When I got my old 1000 it had the old sealed beam set-up.
                        I converted it to a H-4 assembly with the biggest I could find at 130 watts hi-beam, 90 watts low beam OR.. as commonly written 130/90. Had NO problem with this set-up.
                        Rick.........

Comment

Whoops!

I got the tire size thing on my mind
                          90/130 not 130/90
                          Rick.......

Comment

Originally posted by mike94form
                            Focus, did you get the CAD diagram yet? I do not know if it is my eyes or my monitor but I can barely make out your schematic.
                            Thanks,

Pretty much the same here, is the CAD diagram available yet? Thanx! :twisted:

Comment

My lazy brother hasnt done it, so I am going to see what i can do myself, I hope to have it done soon.
                              sorry for the delay

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
                                Originally posted by mike94form
                                Thanks,

Pretty much the same here, is the CAD diagram available yet? Thanx! :twisted:
                                here is a drawing I did up on the computer, (this is my first attempt at this)

you will need to run a new wire from the positive terminal of the battery, or you can run it from the battery side of the starter solinoid, to terminal 30 of the relay, trace down the power wire coming back from the ignition switch, that runs to the fuse box, cut it just before it splits to go to the separate fuses.
                                run a wire from the ignition switch side to the 85 terminal on the relay.
                                run a ground wire from the 86 terminal to a good ground point.
                                now run a wire from terminal 87 to the wire that splits before the fuses. (the one prevously cut)
                                there are several variations that can be used
                                [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UQDpAm4ZvjD02hgXnc!v3*BZ1kZfB8ZOS9h*l43rlkYK1hb35 MAJwpnpxntssNTYEjcBCrFQ9waMGmpBWaP8eSNef6VnGf1tMjx RBIwN*sCDOmvEKf7agcY4oos41haT/wiring-drawing.bmp?dc=4675413809748115293[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X