Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs450l float hight and petrol leakage

Hi

I'm restoring an old 1980 Gs450l. Things went fine until i saw massive petrol leakages from the carbs.
    Opened the carbs for checking the float hight, looking in an old book it states that the float hight should be 22 mm. but i'm not sure.
    What's even more strange is that the petrol is leaking from the drainpipe coming from the airfilterbox. This only happens when i start the machine and let it run for a while. The machine then gets floaded and stops running.

Any clue on this

therat

It sounds like the needle valve must be sticking on the floats, I would at the least remove the the needle and valve and make sure they are clean, since you are at it it might be a good idea to the carbs. also make sure your vent hose on the carbs are not plugged.
    also check the oil if any gas passed through the rings it would be to change it.

The book I have has 21.4 to 23.4 mm on float hight.

Comment

hi

thanks for reply, i just saw just another one having the same problem. It seems this happens to more GS450L.
      The venthose should it be mounted upwards or downwards ?? Or just remove them completely??

thank ill try to fix this will post the results

Comment

hi, it is mine with the same problem, i found that part of the problem was a poor charge in the battery and from accidentally running the bike on prime.

check the fuel hose connections are the right way round

check that no fuel comes from either pipe in the on and reserve position

check air filter is not clogged

and whether that cures the prob or not, clean the carbs

i have changed oil, filter and plugs and even with a faulty tap it is working ok now

im gonna clean carbs now and check mixture settings as i am getting poor performance on high revs, hoping bearing arent ruined

Comment

the oil change by the way made a huge difference to the engine, the old oil was thin as hell and practically 60 % petrol.

oil change essential to avoid irrevocable damage to engine parts

Comment

Your vacuum line may be sucking fuel - see other posts

Comment

Working...
            X