Full Floater Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full Floater Suspension

Hi, I have a 85 gs 700E with Full floater rear suspension. The damper adjust knob is stuck in the 1st position. If i try to turn the knob, it progressively gets harder to turn. I turn it about 1/8 turn, but I'm afraid to turn it too hard, for fear of breaking the plastic gears inside. I'm not sure if the cable is frozen, or if there is some mechanism inside the shock that needs to be freed up. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas, or had this problem before, or is there some way to disassemble the shock?
    Thanks in advance,
    Nick

Be VERY careful of the gear on the shock, it is irreplacable!!!!
    It very well may be the cable frozen, it can be removed and freed up.
    I would also suggest removing the gear and flushing the housing out and then pack it with grease.

Dink

Comment

Good question Nicholaschase29, i can't provide any answers myself but i do have a 1984 GS 750E i recently purchased and I have the identical issue as well. I'm going to strat by cleaning things up on the outside and work my way to taking a look at the cable and bottom shock housing.
      I would think others have had a similar problem and will want to chime in with intsrtuction on how they resolved this issue.

Comment

I took the knob off and sprayd pb blaster down the line, but it didnt do anything. I would put the bike on the center stand to get a better look, and possibly disasemble, but does not have one. I think the PO took it off so the pipes would fit. I'm really turning it pretty hard too, but it's just the cable flexing I think. When I bought it it was stuck, so I dont know how long ago it was moving. Can you remove the cable from the shock?
        Thanks,
        Nick

Comment

The preload on these shocks are hydraulic aren't they? The 550's are hydraulic. I don't know how the damping adjustment works though.. might it be acable?
          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

the put spring preload in, there is a hydrolic adjustment, for the damper it spins a cable.

Comment

Yes you can just un-screww the cable both ends.

Dink

Comment

So, since my post above mentioned I also have an issue of this nature I decided I would start taking things apart last night.
                I found the inner cable to be seized up, and the little gear found at the top portion of the cable where it fits into the adjusting mechanism has several teeth missing (not good).
                Heads up on this, there is a little rubber plug that fits into a hole at the bottom of the shock, just to the left of where the cable fits in.
                Pull the cable and plug out of the shock, you can use a screw driver to move the little wheel where the cable would normally fit in. When turning the wheel you can hear the "click" when you go up to the next adjustment.
                Watch the little window where the plug fits in, as you turn the wheel from the cable port you will see the mechanism turn in the window where the rubber plug was.
                Watch that little window as you click it through the 4 settings. You will see just the mechanism (white plastic) turning as you click. The color of the plastic will change to red (in my case it was just a very light shade of red).
                I think that the adjustment setting where you see some red in that port equates to the number 1 position (red) on the adjustment knob on the frame.

I think my cable could be servicable but the little gear is definately not.
                So, i adjusted the shock manually to be at the 4th position.

Comment

replace the shock??

can anyone offer a good repalcement shock that will fit straight in to this model

i am thinking mine is a bit old and tired and i would like to upgrade to something more modern.

any ideas

Comment

you should be able to throw in a GSXR shock. anything from 98 on up or so.
                    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

The shocks that are like what came on '97 GSXR750's are the right length for the 700/750 models. It is in fact about 1/4" longer than stock. Mount it upside down with the reservoir to the rear and use some bronze or brass washers between the shock clevis and the cushion rod linkage for the Full-Floater.

In a week or so I coud have good adjusters and gears available from a stock shock. The shock itself is toast and needs to go in the garbage.

Comment

Merry Christmas!
                        I finally got my shock apart, and the cable does spin freely, I looked into the shock and noticed a white plastic disk with the square end on it for the cable, I removed the white plastic peice and behind it was reddish orange... crap, for lack of a better word I sprayed pb blaster into the shock but i'm a bit stuck here. Anyway, I never did get the shock removed from the bike because the center stand was removed to make room for the pipe. So, I am currently working on the shock while it's on the bike. I would also take pictures, but I left my camera at my grandmas yesterday. Further instructions would be appreciated.
                        Thanks,
                        Nick

Comment

The plastic piece the cable fits into should have a pin sticking out of it which when rotated changes the damping setting. You have four positions on your adjuster. The first position should show a red dot in the inspection port that has the rubber plug in it. The piece you see rotating with the red dot has four pins on it, one for every damping setting. You may need to use a Q-tip with some solvent on it to clean things up enough to see the red dot.

Comment

Bump..Nick, so how did you make out? Fixed?

Originally posted by Nicholaschase29 View Post
                            ... I would put the bike on the center stand to get a better look, and possibly disasemble, but does not have one. I think the PO took it off so the pipes would fit. ...
                            Thanks,
                            Nick
                            I hear you, same bike same problem. I picked up a center stand off of eBay. Does your pipe at least allow you to change the oil without removing? If so it's better than mine!

Comment

Here is what I did....

Once I remove the shock I have now I will try to save it, although it looks pretty bad in there.... I will let you know once I get it out.

I havent tried to put a centerstand on my bike, actaully I think it might work with my pipes because I have a rubber stop on my pipes which I think is for the stand...
                              I would rather not spend 30 bucks, to find out it does'nt fit.
                              Thanks,
                              Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X