Rear wheel binding up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear wheel binding up?

While re-building my rear caliper, it came to my attention that my rear wheel was a little hard to spin. That is, harder than on the little KZ. With the caliper off, a good turn on the wheel would only rotate it about 3-4 rotations. Is this normal? I always use SAE 90 weight oil and there is plenty in there, and last time I changed my tire I lubed up the bearings too, about 4-5 months ago. My bike has always been a biotch to push around in neutral but I never had any serious trouble, just hoping this isn't indicative of a bigger problem. Anyone else have any experience on this?

That sounds about right. I know that my shafties are a little (tighter) in that respect, when compared to the chain drive bikes. I attribute it to the extra drag in the final drive unit and rotating mass of the drive shaft. As long as everything was lubed the last time you had it apart, I think you're in for trouble free riding. One thing that is always good to check though...the next time that you have it out, feel the rear wheel area around the bearings. It should feel slightly warm to the touch, not hot. A quick test to make sure that things are not too tight.

Comment

What Dave said... normal for shafties, but check your rear bearings and brake disk to make sure they're not getting too hot.

The rear pumpkin does get warm on a long highway ride, but it should be warm all over, not hot in one spot, and not too hot to touch.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The 850, like most modern bikes, uses sealed wheel bearings. I'm wondering what it was you lubed...

With the wheel off of the bike, you should be able to reach in there with a middle finger or so and feel each bearing. As long as they feel smooth without lateral play, you should be OK.
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
          The 850, like most modern bikes, uses sealed wheel bearings. I'm wondering what it was you lubed...
          Good point -- you want to put a good 60% moly grease on the drive splines, but you definitely do NOT want it in the wheel bearings. 60% moly is lousy for nonmetals, seals, or things in rolling or sliding contact -- it's only good for splines and similar metal to metal galling/fretting wear areas.

Since the wheel bearings are sealed, it would be difficult to get any sort of grease in there anyway.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

You're probably right. I meant splines. Or whatever. They looked like they needed greasing. Put a nail in my tire over the weekend in my driveway (thankfully not at speed) so the wheel is off now anyways, I'll lube it up again I think before I reinstall it.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X