Correct treatment on start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct treatment on start up

I just got my 81 gs(x)400L, and to keep it in shape (Although it is a project bike anyways) over the winter, I get her going every week or so, rev the engine, bounce on it a little, and go through all the electricle.

I have a feeling though, after read some of the other threads, that i may be doing some damage.

When I start her up (the bikes name is Lola), if i don;t get the engine warmed up right away, she dies on me. this has resulting in my habit of, once started, almost immidiately going full throttle on it until i can hold about 7000rpm (Redline is 9.5K) Also, I usualy don't use any choke when i start the bike. I don't know why that is, but i don't.

I usually let the bike run for about 5 minutes or so,. Then I refill the tank right to the top (petrol with fuel stabilizer), and then she sits for another week.

lately i have noticed a few things.
    One: the right side sputters a bit, and occationally full out backfires during the first 3 or 4 minutes.

Two: The right ride exhaust pipe (chrome) is getting a rainbow sort of colour to it where it meets the engine. This is has just started in the past few weeks, and I'm guessing its cause the right side is running hot.

three: I can't get the rpm to stay down. either the engine does 2.2Krpm, or it just dies. it HAS done 1krpm, but that was earlier in the year.

side notes on the above: previous owner put in an aftermarket needle valve in the right side carb. 12$ part instead of the 75$ for suzuki factory part. When right side is sputtering, white vapor comes out of the right exhaust. A LOT of white vapor. I also have not been able to get the spark plugs off to clean and gap them. They are on ther pretty tight. I'm thinking of trying so liquid wrench.

So. Any ideas as to whats wrong with the right side? and am I miss-treating the engine?

HI mate.

I had a similar problem and it was dodgy plugs.

Cheers Billy.

Comment

Change your plugs and use your choke to start your bike. I don't think almost hitting red line when cold can be a good thing. White smoke is water vapor that lines your cylinders after the bike cools. It is normal.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

[quote=BentRod;561879]
        When I start her up (the bikes name is Lola), if i don;t get the engine warmed up right away, she dies on me. this has resulting in my habit of, once started, almost immidiately going full throttle on it until i can hold about 7000rpm (Redline is 9.5K) Also, I usualy don't use any choke when i start the bike. I don't know why that is, but i don't.

I usually let the bike run for about 5 minutes or so,. Then I refill the tank right to the top (petrol with fuel stabilizer), and then she sits for another week.

One: the right side sputters a bit, and occationally full out backfires during the first 3 or 4 minutes.

Two: The right ride exhaust pipe (chrome) is getting a rainbow sort of colour to it where it meets the engine. This is has just started in the past few weeks, and I'm guessing its cause the right side is running hot.

three: I can't get the rpm to stay down. either the engine does 2.2Krpm, or it just dies. it HAS done 1krpm, but that was earlier in the year.

GULP!!! :shock: COLD@7000 :shock: Sounds as if you need to do some carb cleaning/repair change plugs and fix the lean condition that is turning your pipes purple. When you get it set right, you will need the choke to start it and not the throttle. The GS is touted as a very tough engine, however, with a low pressure oil system on a cold engine and 7000 RPM, you're headed for rod and main bearings with issues if you're not careful!

Never to be humble me....that and 2 cents.

Comment

Ah darn it, I gotta take that beast apart. YAHOOO! well at least now I can justify it.

seriously though.

I'll take a look at the plugs. If they turn out to be super cr@p than i suppose I'll leave it and see what happens. If they are still decent, then I guess i don't have any choice but to take out the carbs.

I really want to have Lola ready for spring so I can scare my mom.

Comment

The advice i got here on the best way to start works like a charm for me. Full choke and no gas. however, if it has been sitting for a while you may have to put the pet cock on prime to fill the float bowls. then just let it warm up, and open the choke as she lets you.
            My bike needs carb work this winter since i've got a rough idle even at 1800rpm, and this has worked for me every time.

Comment

Originally posted by BentRod View Post
              Ah darn it, I gotta take that beast apart. YAHOOO! well at least now I can justify it.

seriously though.

I'll take a look at the plugs. If they turn out to be super cr@p than i suppose I'll leave it and see what happens. If they are still decent, then I guess i don't have any choice but to take out the carbs.

I really want to have Lola ready for spring so I can scare my mom.
              The first thing that I'd suggest is to pull the carbs, strip them, and soak them in (Berrymans?) or Gunk carb cleaner and reassemble, making sure to check everything all ports, jets, float height, choke circuit, ect.ect . Set everything to spec and make sure every port within the carbs are open. Use the "Carb Cleaning" info here, it gives several great tips to ensure that you get the carbs clean!

Comment

The previous owner told me that he had cleaned both carbs (hence why he replaced a needle valve). I guess you can never be sure what the other guy did.

I'll have some time after xmas, I may be able to take them apart then.

Comment

Don't trust a PO. Carbs cleaned and then sat a month may need cleaning again. Just go through it. These things arent that complicated.

OH! And Howdy to another Canadian!

Comment

Yes, fix it. Your cam lobes and lower end will thank you for it. The most sensitive part of the rotating mass during startup is the lobes on your camshafts, however high rpm on a cold start can cause long term problems elsewhere. Fix it and enjoy......

Comment

[QUOTE=Dave8338;561897]
                      Originally posted by BentRod View Post

GULP!!! :shock: COLD@7000 :shock: Sounds as if you need to do some carb cleaning/repair change plugs and fix the lean condition that is turning your pipes purple. When you get it set right, you will need the choke to start it and not the throttle. The GS is touted as a very tough engine, however, with a low pressure oil system on a cold engine and 7000 RPM, you're headed for rod and main bearings with issues if you're not careful!

Never to be humble me....that and 2 cents.
                      Im with you on that Dave!!!Get those carbs fixed and get a manual!I dont hit 7 grand till Im on the hwy and I dont keep it there long!!I am doing about 90 though!

Comment

Working...
                      X