Newb with an ignition problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newb with an ignition problem

I've had my '79 GS1000E for almost a year now and since I bought it it's worked flawlessly. About 2 weeks ago, I lowsided (leaves) and slid the bike on it's right side. I broke the cover that goes over the ignition and bent up one of the points. I ordered a new point/condenser set and replaced them, but my bike still won't run right.

It sputters and will only idle. If I try to give it gas, it will sputter and eventually die. I noticed that the #3 (starting from the left) exhaust pipe does not get hot. 1-2-4 all get hot. I used my timing gun to determine that I've got spark on all 4 plug wires. When I put the timing gun on #1 I see the "T" thru the hole in the timing plate.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

After swapping in the new point set & condenser, you did set the timing on both pairs, right?

I'll assume yes. Remove the points cover and start the bike at night. You might see some light-duty sparking at the points (but not much, nothing intense), and should be equal at both sets of points.

A bum condenser will cause heavier sparking on one ignition circuit (one set of points) and will make your bike run like you describe. It's possible your new condenser is bad. Swap in a known OK condenser & see if that changes anything. Also see if that new set of points looks burned beyond its short operating life.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Revisiting old problem

Wow, has it been that long since my bike hasn't run right?

I ran out and got a new set of points & a condenser, I've set the timing with a timing light - I see "1-4" when I time cylinder 1 or cylinder 4 and I see "2-3" when I time cylinder 2. When I attach the timing gun to cylinder 3 I get no spark whatsoever. I removed and replaced #3 plug to no avail.

I had thought that if the coil was bad, I wouldn't get spark on either 2 or 3 - any ideas as to why only 3 isn't firing?

Thanks for any help!

Comment

It's possible that part of the coil is bad, but it's more likely that the plug wire is broken.
        Are the wires replaceable on your bike? Many stock coils have the wires molded in. Many of the aftermarket replacements use replaceable wires.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the help.
          I'll see if I can find a new coil this weekend.

\\/

Comment

Did you try swapping the plug leads, or are you jumping straight to a new coil?

Just curious, as you did not say that you found the problem.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X