hard starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hard starter

hi my 83 gsx550 still wont start propley cleaned carbs for a second time fitted new valve seat o rings adjusted float height new battery new plugs new air filter new plug leads new main jets plugs on right way etc started well when first started after fitting back carbs but the day after took ages to fire HELP what now cheers andy

What do you have the petcock set on?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

hi i put it on prime to fill the carbs and then before i start it put it on run straight down i keep thim=nking that the air screw setting might be a problem

Comment

why why why cleaned carbs twice a new air filter new plugs new leads new main jets new o rings on valve assembly new battery yet it wont fire and start please help or it get broken up as l running out of patience cheers andy

Comment

Was it running fine before all the work? Have you checked valve specs and compression yet? Also, double check your connections from the battery to the harness and main ground. Make sure that you've got good fuel flow to the carbs and don't forget to take the run switch and move it to on.

Comment

hi it ran fine when i refited thecabs but not when it left overnight i cant believe its a carb proplem now after cleaning them twice and new o rings etc cheers andy

Comment

Does the petcock function correctly? Is it vacuume opperated ie; prime/res/on ?

Comment

hi yes the petcock works fine cheers andy

Comment

Do you have the air box on and completely sealed tight against the carbs?

Is there an air leak in one or more of your intake boots (they are impossible to see, so you must check with something flammable)?

Is there a healthy spark?

Just some more things to check, I hope you find it soon....

Comment

I had the same issues with my 83 550. I ended up drilling out the plugs on the air screws and opening them up 10 1.75 turns open. Most of my starting problems are now gone.
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-18-2006, 06:13 PM.

Comment

The carbs have "starter jets" in them, they are the long brass tube that goes into the sidewall of the float bowl itself. There is a tiny port in the bottom of the float bowl that allows fuel to go from the float bowl main cavity to the very small cavity that the starter jet tube is housed in. Make sure that tiny port is free, as well as the tiny holes in the side and bottom of the brass tube. The starter jets and the port that feeds it are the very smallest ports in the entire carb system, and being that it sits in the bottom of the float bowl, it can clog up easy.
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

hi tell me how you drilled them out do you have the srews 13/4 turns out i saw on a spec sheet they should be 21/2 to 3 turns where are the breather tubes many thanks andy

Comment

hi checked sparks battery not fully charged but week spark on 1 and 4 week spark on 3 but no spark on 2 one air box breather blocked would this be why it fired when first cleaned new battery charged and not whjen it stands cheers andy

Comment

If you're getting ANY spark, the signal generator is ok. As is your ignitor box. Those work, or don't. Though you should check your coils if you have variable spark across the engine. Most likely your plug leads are shot, or your coils are dead.

Skreemer had one of his coils die on him.
                            You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                            If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                            1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                            1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                            1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                            1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                            1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Working...
                            X