Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Problems (Not running on all cylinders???)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Problems (Not running on all cylinders???)

***Bike Description***
    '79 GS1000E w/ 600miles on freshly rebuilt engine.
    K&N pods
    Dynojet Kit
    Yoshimura cams and exhaust
    Dyna coils and electronic ignition
    Brand new boots, orings, wires, plugs, etc.

So I went on a great ride to T.W.O. in Northern Georgia. Its about 50miles of highway and then the fun starts... Anyway, the bike ran well while getting there (highway cruising @ about 80mph) and on the curvy country roads.

But about 5mins after getting back on the highway while cruising at 80 the power would cut in and out. I stopped at the closest turn off to see if anything was obviously wrong with it, but everything appeared fine. When I started it back up it was obviously not running right and it could barely move while I limped it to the nearest gas station. My buddy who was riding behind me said the exhaust smelt heavily of gasoline.

At the gas station I checked all the obvious things, it is certainly getting fuel and all the electrical connections (wired directly to the battery through a relay) for the coils and plugs are fine. I tried brand new plugs and it ran the same, sounds like its missing and has no power at all. I took the pods off the carbs when I give it throttle fuel sprays out of the carbs??? Any idea what would cause it to all of a sudden die when just cruising on the highway?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as of now it sits behind a gas station 50 or so miles away. Hopefully I can get a truck and go get it tomorrow... Thanks again.

You might have a stuck float needle or float. Seems unlikely, but it appears you are getting too much gas. How did your plugs look that you pulled???

Comment

3 of the plugs looked rich (which I expected b/c I have the large jets in) and had a slight shininess to them. One looked as if it was rich but was recently lean, everything was sooty black except for the electrode, which was grayish white.

Oh and it did seam like it was sucking gas way too fast. With the tank off and the line (about 8in of tube) filled it would empty the line in like 10seconds when I ran it.... which seams way too fast. You think one float being stuck open would make that much of a difference in power?
      Last edited by Guest; 12-17-2006, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Is the fuel shooting out of all carbs? Sound like a low battery or a weak spark.

Did you cock the cam chain tensioner correctly so you didn't slip a tooth on the cams?

You don't have the petcock on prime do you?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

What colour were your plugs straight after your engine rebuild?
          Check your carbs. Your plug colours and their shinny appearance indicate over rich mixtures. Like you suspect, your main jets are probably to big. I don't think that a float would suddenly stick while riding the bike.
          Check the screws on your float bowls, in case one bowl has come loose. When you fitted the main jets, are you sure that you tightend them properly. If not, one may have unscrewed and dropped into the bowl.
          If this has happened, you would have seen heaps of black smoke and the motor would have laboured above idle like you said it did.
          :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Is the fuel shooting out of all carbs? Sound like a low battery or a weak spark.

Did you cock the cam chain tensioner correctly so you didn't slip a tooth on the cams?

You don't have the petcock on prime do you?
            Its not shooting out in liquid form, is more of a mist that blows out of each carb. It very well could be weak spark but the battery seamed OK. And in the past it has run just fine w/ a dead battery (after I push stated it...)

I did correctly set up the tensioner, I was very careful about that. Besides when I was up in the mountains I rode it hard w/o problems. Then after maybe 5 miles of just putting around (under 5K rpm) it all of a sudden started intermitenly loosing power, then after I stopped all the power was gone.

The petcock was on run (I have a manual petcock now)
            Last edited by Guest; 12-18-2006, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
              What colour were your plugs straight after your engine rebuild?
              Check your carbs. Your plug colours and their shinny appearance indicate over rich mixtures. Like you suspect, your main jets are probably to big. I don't think that a float would suddenly stick while riding the bike.
              Check the screws on your float bowls, in case one bowl has come loose. When you fitted the main jets, are you sure that you tightend them properly. If not, one may have unscrewed and dropped into the bowl.
              If this has happened, you would have seen heaps of black smoke and the motor would have laboured above idle like you said it did.
              The plugs were black right after my rebuild, I've been putting off really tuning the carbs b/c its been running strong and at least it wasn't lean.

I can't be sure I correctly tightend the main jets but I know that there was not any black smoke when the power was cutting out or thereafter.

Thanks for everyone who has responded, hopefully I'll be able to figure this out. This bike sure has been a handfull since I purchased it... Any other ideas?

Comment

Float level is critical to mixture. Check that and go to some leaner mains and see if things get better.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mgriz;562321
                  when I give it throttle fuel sprays out of the carbs??? [/QUOTE]
                  If you are using slotted cam sprockets, the cam gears may have slipped....BadBillyB

Comment

The bike was running strong for a while and then suddenly went south. So the basic tuning (jet sizes, float height, pods, etc.) was reasonable to begin with. Now, most plugs are really rich. Therefore, that points to the following in the order of the most likely problem:
                    1. Ignition problem: Did you visually verify spark on all cylinders, with the current plugs?
                    2. Too much fuel flow (or too little air) for one or more carbs: The usual suspects - leaking floats, main jet came loose, obstructed air filter/pod, etc.
                    3. Blown head gasket: This would affect one or more cylinders and would lead to greatly decreased performance because of low compression.

I think it's unlikely that it's a valve adjustment issue because the problem was so sudden.

Comment

Originally posted by BadBillyB View Post
                      If you are using slotted cam sprockets, the cam gears may have slipped....BadBillyB
                      -The cam gears aren't slotted, so at least thats out...

Originally posted by nabrams View Post
                      The bike was running strong for a while and then suddenly went south. So the basic tuning (jet sizes, float height, pods, etc.) was reasonable to begin with. Now, most plugs are really rich. Therefore, that points to the following in the order of the most likely problem:
                      1. Ignition problem: Did you visually verify spark on all cylinders, with the current plugs?
                      2. Too much fuel flow (or too little air) for one or more carbs: The usual suspects - leaking floats, main jet came loose, obstructed air filter/pod, etc.
                      3. Blown head gasket: This would affect one or more cylinders and would lead to greatly decreased performance because of low compression.

I think it's unlikely that it's a valve adjustment issue because the problem was so sudden.
                      1. I did not verify spark to each cylinder, that'll be the first thing I check when I get the bike back home. I need to go through the electrical system. If I have the coils wired directly to the battery, what else would effect the intensity of spark?

2. Thats where Im hoping the problem is, would make the least amount of work for me to fix it... so Im crossing my fingers.

3. I hope not, Ill check the compression...

Thanks again for everyones help.

Comment

I'm experiencing the same problem with my '81 750L. It's been very rare in the past but has become far more frequent in the past month. It's now happening on every other ride. It'll run strongly for anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 hours and then suddenly act as though it's only running on 3 cylinders. WOT barely keeps you moving at 50MPH. This weekend, my friend said riding behind me made his eyes water. For whatever reason it suddenly starts running pig rich.

It was totally stock when I bought it. So far I've replaced the ignition system (Dyna S pickup & new Dyna coils), spark plugs, floats and inlet valves to no avail. #1 & 2 plugs look a little rich when it's running well and are saturated with fuel when it's bad. #3 and 4 always look perfect. All 4 plugs fire properly at all times so short of a jumped timing chain (which then jumps back?) it has to be something in the fuel system. I'm running out of things to rebuild / replace though.

I feel your pain--it's hard to believe how such a simple setup can be so frustrating.
                        1981 GS750L
                        1979 GS1000L

Comment

It is funny cause it seems like this is a common problem with GS period... I am working out the same type of issues with my 80 750

I am so suprised no one knows what causes this if the problem is so common

Comment

Have you guys had any luck with your bikes? I took the lazy approach and bought another set of CV carbs. I'll hopefully have time to drop them in this weekend.

As it sits, the engine won't even fire up now. Ignition and fuel delivery (to the carbs at least) are fine and it's not dumping fuel into the cylinders with the petcock on prime. So much for an easy fix.
                            1981 GS750L
                            1979 GS1000L

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                              Have you guys had any luck with your bikes? I took the lazy approach and bought another set of CV carbs. I'll hopefully have time to drop them in this weekend.

As it sits, the engine won't even fire up now. Ignition and fuel delivery (to the carbs at least) are fine and it's not dumping fuel into the cylinders with the petcock on prime. So much for an easy fix.
                              No luck yet, I was lucky enough to be able to get the bike back home before I had to fly out to CT. I just got back so I have not had a chance to poke around anymore. When I do I will post what I find in this thread, thanks for everyones assistance so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X