Can you polish a windscreen like new?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you polish a windscreen like new?

If a windscreen has no deep scratches and you polish it to look new?
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

Originally posted by pano View Post
    Yes... If you have an electric/air grinder, use low rpm (no more than 2000) and go to the local parts supplier and pick up a buffing pad (fine cut) for the grinder. Also get a bottle of "swirl mark remover" 3M makes a great product and pick up some RAIN-X. Start on the windscreen in a lower corner and keep in mind that you need to keep the buffer moving, if not, you'll melt into the plastic. Use a little water from a mist bottle and be careful. Use a small amount of the the swirl mark remover on the pad and buff until it leaves little if any traces on the windscreen. Rinse and check your work. You'll get the hang of it. When you're satisified with the results, follow up with the rain-x and again (no power equip.) hand buff until it's dry. If it's not discolored from sunlight, you screen will look new. And yes, I'd do both sides. Works great on composite headlights as well, car/truck/or bike.

Comment

Probably better to spend a few extra bucks to buy new than to buy used and do all that work. It would be the way to go if I were going to freshen up something I had. Thanks.
      1982 GS1000S Katana
      1982 GS1100E

Comment

Probably better to spend a few extra bucks to buy new than to buy used and do all that work. It would be the way to go if I were going to freshen up something I had. Thanks.
        It's not as bad as it sounds and iff the windscreen in no longer made, it's a good option.

Comment

Novus makes some polishes made for windscreens that work well, I'm told. Don't know that as first hand info tho'.

We did polish the crazed windscreen on a Cessna 150 using nothing more than a very fine white liquid automotive polishing compound and a lot of elbow grease. Very impressive results. We just cleaned the inside with a plexiglass cleaner the outside we polished to a beautifully clear finish. Members in the flying club thought the screen was new.

Polish back and forth, in the direction of airflow. Do not use circular motion.
          Last edited by Guest; 12-18-2006, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Generally speaking if you can feel it good with your fingernail, you can't polish them out. Novus makes a great scratch remover/polish kit for windscreens. Keep in mind it's a LOT of work, but to save the cost of a new one, it might very well be worth the effort.
            Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2006, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X