tire for beginner/city use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tire for beginner/city use

I definately need a new back tire. I've read other threads and I'm familiar with what's popular, but a lot of the tires being recommended are sport tires, and I was thinking something a little flatter in profile for more stable cruising. I do not intend on being agressive in my riding.

The most important thing to me is stickiness.

I'm riding an 81 GS(x)400L

Thanks

Interestingly enough, when you say "sticky" in relation to tires, you are also saying "sporty and aggressive". 8-[

For inexpensive tires, I have installed Kenda Challengers on my 650L and Cheng Shin Hi-Max on my (wife's) 850L.

Many other choices that cost more, but for your intended style of riding, they would be overkill.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The Cheng Shin HiMax would be an excellent choice for you -- they're a great tire with great pricing. I've used and recommended several sets of these and always gotten good life and traction out of them. You can lean as far as you want to on them (you can happily drag pegs with Cheng Shins), and they work great in wet weather.

The Cheng Shins are also available in the widest range of sizes of any tire, so you'll be able to get the correct sizes. Quite often, older bikes are wearing incorrect (wider) tires in the badly mistaken belief that wider tires will improve traction or handling.

Reports are not good on some older Cheng Shin designs, like the Marquis and Barracuda, so make sure you're getting the HiMax.

If maximum life is your concern, the Dunlop 491 has great traction and lasts the longest. It may or may not be available in your sizes, though, and is expensive -- about $200 - $220 USD ordered online and mounted in my garage.

For absolute maximum traction in the dry and in the wet, the Pirelli Sport Demon is the absolute best and stickiest GS tire around. They are truly amazing tires, and I'm never going to use anything else on my GS. I'm spoiled forever. However, they aren't as long-lived as the Dunlop 491 or Cheng Shin, and they are just as expensive as the Dunlops.

The Pirellis are available in a wide range of sizes, but again, may not be available for your bike.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

You'll probably find that tire size and availability dictate what you use. The Cheng Shin Marquis is the cheapest and most widely available rear tire around. Handles good wet or dry. A touring tire that will still allow you to scratch a bit. Wears about average. 5,000~8,000 miles. I use the Marquis, the Hi-Max does not come in my rear tire size.

For a front tire a Cheng Shin Hi-Max or Kenda Challenger is my preferance, I do not like the Marquis front tire, wears badly. Here I can use the Hi-Max it comes in my size.

You're not gonna win any races on an old 400, so don't even try and you can use these tires safely and still have lots of fun.
        Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2006, 08:38 AM.

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

haha

race.... *snicker*

my local shop told me that the Kenda's would last maybe one seasom. but then he probably really wants to sell the pirelli and Avon.

the himax looks like a good tire. I'll probably go with that..

Comment

Ha Ha Ha Ha....

Originally posted by BentRod View Post
            I do not intend on being agressive in my riding.

The most important thing to me is stickiness.

I never have "intended" to be aggressive either. It just happens.

You might think about getting a tire similar to the front one if you are intending to keep it. Might work better when the aggressive riding happens.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I would take bwringer's advice and go with the HiMax. I have used them and they stick quite well and are reasonable in cost. They are more than up to handling anything a novice rider can throw at them. :-) They last reasonably well, handle rain decently and track nicely.

Earl
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

my .02$ worth Nerobro and I have been running the past 3 seasons on Bridgestone BT045 tires... more touring than sport and have put up with our little mannerisms with aplomb.

Comment

Buy BT45s. They're cheap, they last, they stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Commodus View Post
                    Buy BT45s. They're cheap, they last, they stick.
                    They're great tires, but they cost about the same as any other premium tire. All the premium tires (Dunlop 491 & 501, Pirelli Sport Demon, Bridgestone BT-45, etc.) are within $20 a set of each other.

Where are you getting "cheap" Bridgestone BT-45s?
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Spitfires, or Metzeler marathons, decently sticky on the sides, harder in the middle, last good and long. cheap too.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        They're great tires, but they cost about the same as any other premium tire. All the premium tires (Dunlop 491 & 501, Pirelli Sport Demon, Bridgestone BT-45, etc.) are within $20 a set of each other.

Where are you getting "cheap" Bridgestone BT-45s?
                        Erm, I dunno...the Dunlops and Pirellis cost me nearly $400 for a set. The Bridgestones are under $300. Maybe it's just weird where I am (BC)?

Comment

Uh-oh Bentrod,now you've done it. Why don't you ask which is better,dinosaur oil or synthetic? This subject could get you thousands of honest opinions,each a little different.:-D My two cents? I don't like the Chen Win "Marquis". Anything else is OK. Just make sure it's not old stock,and been sitting around for a few years. Oh yeah,take it easy the first fifty miles or so till the new tire is scrubbed in.\\/ Best'o'luck! RJ

Comment

I just put on a set of Continental Blitz tires, they are not cheap around 200 for both mounted and balanced. Conti was the only manufacture that supplies the front and rear maching tire size for the 450L.
                            They ride good, I guess but then again I new to Motorcycling.
                            so far around 600 miles.They do look good!

Comment

Chen or King

I've got the Chen's that others have suggested on my 850 and King brand tires on my 1100...they're both decent & inexpensive tires

Comment

Working...
                              X