tire for beginner/city use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rickt View Post
    the manual says that my '78 GS750 should have a 3.25 x 19 on the front and a 4.00 x 18 on the rear. Are 100/90 x 19 and 120/90 x 18 appropriate replacement tires for this bike?

rickt
    i was asking about tyre sizes a few days ago and this link got posted
    ALWAYS use the exact tire size, type, speed and load rating recommended by the manufacturer of your motorcycle. Never try to second-guess the designers and engineers with regards to tire size, type, speed or load rating! Use the information on this page for general reference only and not for choosing motorcycle tires.

Comment

[QUOTE=rickt;565750

The stories of spending $300-400 for a set of tires seems rather "unbelieveable."
      rickt[/QUOTE]

But Rick Rick Rick, I think you missed the gist of it...these prices we are discussing are to buy tires from local stores here in Canada...there is a huge difference in prices on bike tires here and over the border...apparently some price fixing going on ,and no competition between vendors to speak of.Having spent 2 bills for a Metzeler rear tire myself in the past, I am a believer in the gouging going on. The link I supplied (imotorcycle) beat the MAW price last year when I was shopping around, when you factor in their shipping policy/pricing to Canada...typically their prices I found were within a couple bucks of each other, but a flat $10.00 on shipping to Canada is hard to beat. . Also, a lot of US vendors are reluctant to go the extra mile and ship via USPS to Canada, preferring to use UPS or similar due to their convienience...I don't buy anything if they will not ship USPS.

Tony.

Tony.
      '82 GS1100E

Comment

I've been putting tires on motorcycles for 35+ years and many of these posts with tire prices are I would say, entertaining. For years I have purchased tires from Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse and have never found anyone who could beat their price. e.g.
        Cheng Shin 100/90 x 19 $31.95; 120/90 x 18 $38.95
        Bridgestone BT 45 $71.95; $79.95
        Pirelli Sport Demon $84.95; $91.95

The stories of spending $300-400 for a set of tires seems rather "unbelieveable." The local charge for mounting and balancing is ~$20-25 per wheel. I can't imagine a pair of top line tires mounted and balanced being much more than $225.

BTW - the manual says that my '78 GS750 should have a 3.25 x 19 on the front and a 4.00 x 18 on the rear. Are 100/90 x 19 and 120/90 x 18 appropriate replacement tires for this bike?

rickt
        Well, everyone keeps telling me I'm paying too much, but no one's telling me how to get better prices. I went to that Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse and it lists the BT45s as well over $100, or in other words, more than I pay from my local dealer:

BTW, $10 shipping is a fantastic price from that other site, thanks for that information! (not the quoted poster, I know)

Comment

Originally posted by Commodus View Post
          Well, everyone keeps telling me I'm paying too much, but no one's telling me how to get better prices. I went to that Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse and it lists the BT45s as well over $100, or in other words, more than I pay from my local dealer:

BTW, $10 shipping is a fantastic price from that other site, thanks for that information! (not the quoted poster, I know)
          You are welcome.... imotorcyclestore.com beats the MAW prices here quite handily on the Bridgestones as well ....BT45 Rear Tire 139/90/17 for $103.95...the MAW price is $152.95 for the same hoop...do your homework,Commodus. Again, I have no vested interest in this store...have been extremely happy with their price/service, and am putting the word out.

Tony.
          '82 GS1100E

Comment

Since they ship in the US for free if you buy a set, I've never, ever been able to beat the prices found at Southwest Moto Tires:

swmototires.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, swmototires.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Great communication and fast service, too. Their selection is limited to certain brands, though.

For a much wider selection, excellent service, and also great prices, check here:
            Let Ted Tread and team get you going on the road safely

Both of these are REAL tire sellers, with huge warehouses full of inventory. They're not just some goober with a catalog selling tires from his Mom's basement. This is a very important distinction...

I dunno if they ship to the frozen tundra or not, though. It seems both Canada and the US are getting more and more persnickety these days about goods crossing the border.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yer, but that's still $200. +10$ shipping, so we're at $210, great price!

Oh, but I still have to pay tax, which is what, 7%? Huh, I actually can't remember, but let's just go with that, for a total of $224 (ish). Oh yeah, plus that crazy tire tax, do you have to pay that for imported tires? Well, let's just say you don't.

Plus install! Let's say it's $25/tire, for the sake of argument, though I think that's a little cheap. So, I'm at $274, which IS $26 cheaper, that's definitely a savings. I could buy two pitchers of beer for that!

Hmm, you have me thinking. But then I'd have to wait for my tires, and that would require WAY more forethought that I'm used to... :-D

Comment

The better tires warm up quicker. If your tires are too hard, they won't warm up as fast. Cheap tires get higher milage, but if you do a 360 you may wish you bought the best tires you could get.

Comment

Try checking again

If you go to www.mawonline.com , then to tires, and then to Bridgestone, you should find BTs in both H and V types. The prices range from $70-$90 depending on the size of the tire. I think the prices shown in the site below must be full retail and not the actual maw price.
                  rickt

Originally posted by Commodus View Post

Comment

Try Avon Roadrunners. Metzeler Lasertecs might work too. See their fitment charts. I'd threw away a brand new Kenda Challenger before I'd ride on it.

Comment

If you go to www.mawonline.com , then to tires, and then to Bridgestone, you should find BTs in both H and V types. The prices range from $70-$90 depending on the size of the tire. I think the prices shown in the site below must be full retail and not the actual maw price.
                      rickt
                      You are correct, they list different prices there...for some reason...and pretty good ones too.

That brings the price down to around the $200 mark, assuming shipping is reasonable.

Comment

Working...
                      X