Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Spring Length

ME AGAIN......GS750GUY
    Does anyone know......or can you tell me where I can find out what the factory specified fork spring length should be on my 1978 GS750EC? My service manual says that the springs over time will develop a pre-set compression length and that they should be replaced if the springs are under the factory specified length. However, the manual does not say what the specified spring length should be.
    Anyone out there have this information in a spec book somewhere?
    Thanks,
    Harold

Originally posted by GS750GUY View Post
    ME AGAIN......GS750GUY
    Does anyone know......or can you tell me where I can find out what the factory specified fork spring length should be on my 1978 GS750EC? My service manual says that the springs over time will develop a pre-set compression length and that they should be replaced if the springs are under the factory specified length. However, the manual does not say what the specified spring length should be.
    Anyone out there have this information in a spec book somewhere?
    Thanks,
    Harold
    Ypu need to buy proggesive springs for the front.Do a google search and you will find it there.Im ordering mine from a motto guzzi shop by me for 79 bucks,shipping included.

Comment

Progressive's website has the specs. You can call them up, too, I have found them helpful. The installation instructions are on the website, too.
      Racetech is another good source, but more money.

On these old bikes, I change the springs, if they are original, the first time I have to change the seals. A lot of people run without air, too. Your pre-load is determined by plastic spacers. Depending on your weight and the bike's weight, that can change. Progressive has a table to determine the spacer length (I think they do, anyway, it has been awhile since I checked.)

Comment

Harold, the Clymer manual says that stock spring length for a 78 should be 166mm (6.5in) for the short spring and 370mm (14.6in) for the long spring. Couldn't find anything in the Suzuki shop manual.

Comment

Duuuuude...

Look at it this way: it's been 28 or 29 years since your bike was made.

The stock springs were pitiful, weak junk in 1978.

It's almost 2007, and I can personally guarantee that they are now DONE. Toast. Over.

Really.

Quite farting around with looking up the free length measurements and specifications for modulus of elasticity. Just let them go.

Install Progressive fork springs, and experiment with fork oil weight and the preload spacers to suit your weight and riding style. You will be AMAZED at the transformation.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I agree with Brian (and everybody else). Forget about the stock springs. Get yourself a set of progressives from bikebandit.com, or denniskirk.com. I'm sure there are other sources too. You won't be disappointed.

Use the search tool here on the GSR to find gobs of info on suspension & handling issues.

Comment

Working...
            X