Petcock lead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock lead

I have been trying to rebuild the petcock without success. I bought a gasket kit and thought I put it back together correctly but the thing leaks no matter what position it is in.
    Isn't it suppose to shut off in one of the positions? I can't seem to find a diagram of the petcock showing the proper alignment of the parts.

I just buy new ones. It's not worth the hassle.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Where is it leaking? It should have 3 positions, RES (reserve) PRI (prime) and ON (I think that is what it is called). It does not have an OFF position, since RES and ON only flow when vacuum is present. PRI is always flowing.

Comment

It flows when turned to on and res. Do I have something in backwards?

Comment

Originally posted by jeeptrix View Post
          It flows when turned to on and res. Do I have something in backwards?
          It's hard to say what may be the problem, I'm trying to remember what my old petcock looked like before it hit the wall of the shop at....let's say.... 50 MPH!! I had no luck with the rebuild kit and wasted $17.00 and my time with it. Try georgefix or bike bandit and get a new one. You won't have to wonder if you turned something off, giggled the extra inline filter just right, forgot to turn the manual gravity flow in-line shut off (off)! $45-$50 and forget about it. OH one more thing, when the weather is just right for the perfect ride and you and your pals stop for a burger and fries, you won't have to be the one looking for a plug wrench!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Comment

Working...
          X