Minor Corrosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minor Corrosion

I store my bike in a covered, reasonably protected area with no dropsheet and am discovering some minor 'new' corrosion on the levers. I just picked them up this past spring from some dude on ebay, and they have managed to get a white chalky sort of residue on them. Anyone got some tips to prevent this? Wax or a light coat of oil sounds about as smart as armour all-ing your gas and brake pedals. Should I just stop whining and clean it once a year?

It could be that they are clear-coated, and the clear is corroding. Are they aluminum? Painted? If just aluminum, you can take them off and spray them with aircraft stripper.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

They are aluminum with a rubber tip. You figure raw aluminum will weather better in the long run?

Comment

Originally posted by brand new bike zealot View Post
        They are aluminum with a rubber tip. You figure raw aluminum will weather better in the long run?
        Strip the clear coat off like he said and then spary some new clearcoat on there or wipe oil on them till its riding time

Comment

Originally posted by brand new bike zealot View Post
          I live in a low humidity area. I don't have corrosion problems. I have polished most of the aluminum on my 1000 without clearing any of it and it still looks great. If it's just the levers that are corroded, you might get by without having to re-clear them.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Working...
          X