shocking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shocking question

Over the last month or so I have put a GSXR shock (Late model, looked new) on my GS700e. It is a mono shock model. After a bit of machining and general hand wringing I got the schock on set at its stiffest. I found the first ride to be very similar to riding on a stick all, so I set the shock less stiff. Still this shock has lots of ummph to it. It pushed my front suspension beyond its limits, I literally had oil spray from the forks onto the tank. The forks clearly bottom out.. I have progressive springs coming and fork seals.

I think my question is,

1-Was it reasonable to find the rear shock stiffness to make the weaknesses of the front springs so apparent I could not look away?

2 Will progressive springs and seals create the balance I want?

i dont think the rear shock would have any effect on the forks.

Comment

I don't think it changes the front forks, but I do think bad seals and weak springs become very apparent with a tight rear end

Comment

The other thing that happens is with the new shock the tail of the bike sits up taller and stronger. As a result more pressure is put on the front forks. Don't get me wrong the seals and springs needed to be addressed before I did the back shock. It was just not quite so dramatic

Comment

Just having a shock that works makes a world of difference. My old tired stocker got very scary over the last few years. I got lucky and caught a guy here selling a Works shock dirt cheap. The Progressives set up properly for your weight will help big time. There are also some teflon coated bushings in the fork you should replace when you do the seals.

As a base setting get your sag set to 1" at both ends and see how you like it. It may be a bit stiff for the street but in the tight stuff it's about right. Sag is the difference between the suspension fully extended with the wheel off the ground then measured again with both wheels on the ground and your weight in the seat. At the rear measure from some point on the frame straight down to the axle. Up front you can just measure the exposed fork tube.

Comment

Tell me more about the teflon coated bushings. Where are they?

Comment

Working...
            X