No announcement yet.

stuck screws-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah it sound like total destruction, but as soon as the bit gets thru the head you stop drilling and the bit never really hits the cover. Bit size would be next size over the size of the shaft part of the screw youa drilling out.

Comment

Or you can try what I had to do to get the screws out of my GT.

Take a flat head screwdriver and at an angle to the screw, hit the driver with a hammer, to the left. If you do this enough and at the right angle eventually the screw should break loose and start to turn out.

Good Luck
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

See, never get frustrated enough to sell it, just take a breath, search in the forum, or ask a question, other options will probably follow. Most people are willing to voice what has worked best for them in their own personal experience. That is what makes this site work, there is a vast amount of experience here and the minds are always working.

Comment

Thanks again all for the great suggestions, I have been trying them all!

Folks that know me in real life are very aware I am not a patient person when it comes to things mechanical. I try, though....

I had been thinking about 'upgrading' my ride, this little incident has just moved it forward. I am going to keep working on it to get it running; aside from this, the bike has always treated me well and it would break my heart (in a sense) to not have her running again-

In an effort to prevent me from doing more damage trying to fix her, any idea what size drill bit I need to use to take the screw heads off? I do have a replacement cover if it comes to that, but I sure would like to use the original one... I'll keep y'all up to date as the saga continues...

Comment

Please do as Earl suggested, beg-borrow-buy or steal a Dremel tool and just cut off the heads. You will do less damage to the case than if you drill off center. Then replace them with allen head bolts. For the pan, use a rubber expanding oil plug, it pushes up into the hole and will have a 1/4 inch bolt inside you snug down to expand it into the hole nice and tight. They last forever and don't leak.

Comment

Working...
            X