Coils - What ones do I buy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coils - What ones do I buy??

Finally got round to replacing my HT leads today to find that TPO had filled one of the cavities up with Super glue or something before sticking the lead in there, the other 3 came out fine but this one has left it's head in the hole & I can't get it out with anything

So... What coils should I get? (It's not so bad, could probably do with new ones anyhow, these were the originals).

Can anyone confirm for definite that the Dyna Green coils (3 ohm) are the correct ones for my 1980 GS1000G. I don't have my meter here to test them.

The Dyna ones are about $120 a set.

Alternatively does anyone know of anything better or better priced than the dyna ones??

I'm not that interested in messing around with 2nd hand ones, I just want something that fits & works first time, not enough tools etc in this country to fabricate bits to make other stuff fit.

Cheers,

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

coils

I have these on my 1000 and they bolt straight on. My is a 1000st and ures should be the same

Comment

Any clue on price &/or supplier??

oh... just realised... wrong country

Thanks for the part number though. Is yours the electronic ignition (not points). Mine is.

Cheers,

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

oh... just realised... wrong country

Thanks for the part number though. Is yours the electronic ignition (not points). Mine is.

Cheers,

Dan
        You should be able to get them there as there just as popular as Dyna and they come as a complete kit. Coils clamps.(no need), caps, leads and crimping tool. Mine has no points but isnt CDI.

Comment

Love the look of all the hardware there, Sharpy... I think I'm going down the same route with my GS1000ST as well. ;-)

By the way, what make/ size of oil cooler is that -- and did you have any probs fitting it to the front of the frame? (I'm guessing you must have relocated the wiring loom where it exits the frame just below the steering head, in order to mount the oil cooler?)

Cheers,
          Mike.

Comment

Oi.... this thread is about coils!!
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Yes, but so long as no one starts debating the merits of sythetic vs. dino oils, and other such boooring stuff that's been debated 1000 times before, we should stand a reasonable chance of staying on track!

(Because nothing makes me groan louder than yet another interminable thread debating the merits of oil types, change intervals, etc. ... where every nong gets to be an expert for at least 5 minutes...)

Well if you go to this crew here, hunt around, and before too long you'll find what looks like the coil kit that Sharpy has used.

I trust that this return to the subject at hand will keep salty monk happy. ;-)
              Last edited by Guest; 12-24-2006, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Stock ignition or basic dyna s use the 3.0 ohm coils
                For more info go to dynatec ignition on line and there is all kinds of useful info on their web site

Comment

I went with the Dyno green 3.0 for the 83 1100E from www.z1enterprises.com
                  A great place to buy from.
                  Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                  2000 Kawasaki Concours
                  Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Thanks for the info... I've used Z1 before, they are good guys. That's where I'm intending to get the Dyna's from unless anyone comes up with anywhere better (in price). They are $120 a set of 2 & I already have leads & caps (from them).

Need some new rear brake pads too.

They weren't quite sure when I spoke to them before if it was definitely the 3ohm ones I needed, ignition is stock so thanks MadJack.

Mike, Just pulling your leg!!

Cheers,

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Got the Dyna greens on my GS850G, and they're great. One less thing I have to think about. The Accel coils are also a great product.

I bought a set of wires with them, but I've also found that you can buy a set of zooty yellow Accel wires for an 8-cylinder engine from any auto parts store for about $25, and you'll end up with two sets.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by tfb View Post
                        Well if you go to this crew here, hunt around, and before too long you'll find what looks like the coil kit that Sharpy has used.
                        Another vote for the Accel Coil Kit AND Cycle Recycle Part II (the link above from tfb)!!

I've got the Accels on my 1100G (had them on the 550L for awhile) and they Kick A$$!! You will NOT find a better place to deal with than CRC2, and they have forgotten more about your GS than you'll likely ever know! Even though Brian (BWringer) has the Dynas (which are excellent as well), he lives near CRC2 and will vouch for their reputation.

As I recall, the entire Accel kit was only slightly more expensive than JUST the Dyna coils when I bought them.

Regards,

Comment

ALL of the I4 GS bikes can use the Dyna 3 ohm coils. If you are conserned about having 5 ohms for your points- Just add a balast resistor

Comment

Well fitted the Dyna's yesterday (thanks to Z1 for the quick delivery) & first test ride today... Went great!

The coils are a pretty tight fit & you have to put them with the connectors facing forward for both leads & wires from the loom so really it's the wrong direction for both! Anyway, tight, but it fits.

Engine was making a new "growl" low in the revs & on overrun (not much fuel in tank & 2-3 week old Gas) but disappeared when I filled it up with Super. Maybe the added octane helped. (I know TPO had someone work on the carbs when the old plugs & leads were fitted). Old plugs were resistor plugs, old coils seemed all over the place as far as resistance when I put a meter on them & leads were on their way out (copper cored Denso with resistor caps) Wondering if the (should be much) stronger spark affected the timing??

Bike seems much smoother with a bit more oomph & less jerky in transition between on & off throttle. (I tweeked idle speed & the throttle stop)

Anyway, long & short a success all round.

Happy New Year to all.

Dan
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Well the growl came back & it seems it's a vibration, probably the coils just touching inside of the tank.

Anyone else had that with the Dyna greens?

Perhaps I could use different bolt holes to move them back bit or something.

I also removed the nut from on top of the ally spacer to bring the coils up about 1/8" to give me a bit more room for the HT leads & caps below. Perhaps I should add the nut back in to move them back down. I think if I do it with all wires already connected I should have room to do this.

Failing all else maybe I could fix some rubber in there to cushion the vibration but that seems like a bodge to me...

Seems like the Accel ones are a bit smaller in the pics so perhaps they are easier to fit.

Dan
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                              X