Carby or Electronics Problem???81 gsx1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carby or Electronics Problem???81 gsx1100

I noticed some fuel has been slowly leaking out of one of my pods and thought maybe just the float was stuck open but when i pulled the spark plug out of that same cylinder i noticed it was wet and black in comparison to the other plugs that are a slight grey/dry colour.
    I also noticed that the spark plug cap was burnt around the bottom over the spark plug also and wondered if the problems are related.
    I checked the plug and it still had plenty of spark.
    Sorry but i am not very mechanically experienced so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

An electrical problem would not make fuel come out the pods. Apparently you have a stuck float or some debris in the float valve which is allowing the extra fuel to come out the pods. The overly-high fuel level makes for a very rich mixture, causing the dark plug. Probably won't need any parts, if you don't tear the bowl gasket, but check the float and valve very carefully.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the reply Steve
      I was thinking the burnt plug cap may have something to do with it and maybe causing it if it was breaking down in spark.
      I'll replace all the plugs and the melted cap and tackle the carbs also.
      Cheers
      Nick

Comment

Even if the plug was not firing at all, you would merely have unburnt fuel passing into the exhaust system, but not coming back through the carbs. Hence the suggestion on carb repair.

Good luck. 8-[

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X