Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1150ES oil and tire suggestions

Hi all,
    I'm a newbie here and need some suggestions, I happened upon what I am hoping turns out to be a great deal a 1983 Suzuki GS1150ES for well under a grand. It has been sitting around for approx 1 1/2 to 2 years since the last time it was started. I haven't really had time to get a good look at it. I'd like to change the oil, plugs and make sure the fuel tank is cleaned out before I try and start her. The question(s) is what kind of oil what type of oil filter. The other thing i'd like to find out is what type of tires are good for this particular bike? Currently there are some Dunlops on it now but, i'd like something that'll last. I am mostly conservative with some aggressive tendencies through twisties.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
    Raul
    "86 Kawasaki Concours SilverDammit
    "83 Suzuki GS1150ES

the best answer on oil is whatever the previous owner used in it, unless you have a strong personal preference, filters try genuine or fram.
    Tyres, I love the way my 1150 handles and the wear rate I am getting out of Bridgestone Battleaxe dual compound tyres, I am using the standard sizes with no problem and dont feel the need to go any bigger at this stage.
    Dink

Comment

Thanx Dink, unfortunately the PO got it from another and has no idea. In fact the PO that I got it fron all he did was get it started and just let it sit for a few years. Thanx for the info on the tires as well.
      [/img]

Comment

Like he said, whatever has been in it.
        I've always used Castrol and a Fram filter.
        I ride a GS1000S.
        I mounted a set of Dunlop GT501's last year.
        Great wear rate, great handling at any speed.
        Also very good in the rain.

I always liked the 1150 models.
        take your time......when we get anxiuos, we make mistakes.

Keith
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Thanx Keith... any idea what the part number for either the Fram filter or the Castrol is?
          BTW, that's what i was looking for in a tire. While we do not get a lot of rain we do get it from time to time, that and a lot of fog year round. So tires that stick in the rain are always good.

Raul

Comment

i would stick with a suzuki filter as the fram.... do not have a good reputation.,... you can search on that topic.....

oil.... i did a rinse with car oil after i picked up the bike that had been sitting for 8 years.... castrol 10W40 and another one..... after letting the bike warm up, and driving up and down the street, and then went to MC the spectro flow for a few years... it tried the honda dino oil... not too good, burn too fast... just switch to valvoline 10W40 MC oil that the parts store so i do not have to go to the dealer....

as for tyres they are your lifelink to the ground.... and good gripping tyres do not last too long.... i have some macadam 50.... with less than 2000 miles.... and i am looking at some new ones in a few 100 miles..... A lot of people seems to the metzeler 88.... they will proly be the next ones. I have a pirelli in front.... forgot the number

Cheers

Michel
            81 1100EX

Comment

Working...
            X