idle change question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

idle change question

My bike runs fine except for the fuel intake o-rings I need to replace.Thanks Robert Barr for those,but my idle changes when I "rev" it up to 3 g's and let off.It goes to 900 and then up to 1100 where I have it set.This could be a pilot jet probem Im thinking.Can you just clean the pilot jet and replace the o-ring without doing the whole carb thing or what?Also i still have the factory plugs on the air screws and was wondering if taking the plugs off and adjusting them would make a difference?Please help if you can,Im not a carb man by any means.

If the bike has never sat for an extended time they may not need removed for cleaning. If the bike sat for several years without any preventative mnt the carbs will prob need torn down and cleaned before it will act right.

Comment

Sounds like its a little rich. If you have oring issues I would start there, complete tear down,cleaning, and replace all O-rings.
      There could be fuel leaking past bad O-rings in the mix screws, enrichner circiut,or needle and seat areas causing the richness problem.

Comment

Every time I have had this prob, it's been the choke plunger(s) leaking.But my idle went from 1100 to 1700 up and down. I know it may not be it, but had to put my 2cents in.....Best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by arveejay View Post
          If the bike has never sat for an extended time they may not need removed for cleaning. If the bike sat for several years without any preventative mnt the carbs will prob need torn down and cleaned before it will act right.
          I have put 7000 miles on it in the last 1 1/2 years and it runs great.I just put new plugs in and cleaned the filter.It was dirtier than i thought.I also got some foam air filter oil and it's alot different than the 10 w 40 I had been using.For some reason it seems as though its not getting gas in the air box now.I went for a 40 mile hard ride on christmas eve and now there is not a drop coming out of the air box hose.Could this dirty filter cause gas to be pulled into the airbox for some reason?I am going to replace the fuel line so i thought I would do the float bowl needle valve seat o-rings than anyway,just to be safe.Also like my first post I want to know what makes the idle go to 900 then back to 1100 by blipping the throttle,or is this normal?
          Last edited by Guest; 12-26-2006, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by paco13 View Post
            Sounds like its a little rich. If you have oring issues I would start there, complete tear down,cleaning, and replace all O-rings.
            There could be fuel leaking past bad O-rings in the mix screws, enrichner circiut,or needle and seat areas causing the richness problem.
            I dont think its rich,if anything it would be lean. I get 58 to 60mpg.and the plugs look perfect after 4000 miles.The pipes by the head are a slight yellow when hot and there is no overheating problems. The carbs still have the original plugs in the air screw on top toward the engine.I just put new plugs in and cleaned the air filter and changed to foam air filter oil and now it seem to not be leaking gas thru the airbox hose.There was just about a teaspoon and that was all.Like I said in my post i will change the o-rings on the needle valve seat anyway.

Comment

[quote=tconroy;566275]I also got some foam air filter oil and it's alot different than the 10 w 40 I had been using.quote]

Hey Pal:

Just a change from the 10w 40 (quite thick) to the filter oil that you just bought will lean out the mixture to some extent. Don't know if that is causing the issue, though it does sound like a lean condition symptom to me.

Christmas Greetings and 2 cents...

Dave

Comment

[QUOTE=Dave8338;566616]
                Originally posted by tconroy View Post
                I also got some foam air filter oil and it's alot different than the 10 w 40 I had been using.quote]

Hey Pal:

Just a change from the 10w 40 (quite thick) to the filter oil that you just bought will lean out the mixture to some extent. Don't know if that is causing the issue, though it does sound like a lean condition symptom to me.

Christmas Greetings and 2 cents...

Dave
                Hey Dave,I ran some sea foam in the gas 1 whole bottle for 1 tank as per their instructions and it is idling perfect and with the new filter oil it has a lot more pep to it!Even quieter on the top end at idle.Now all I have to do is try to get the o-rings in the float bowl valve seats replaced as soon as i get them in the mail from Robert Barr.That should fix the gas entering the airbox.It not going in the oil.To also make sure it doesnt,I proped the front wheel off the ground. Also will be picking up my proggressive fork springs next week,they just got ordered today.Does your bike seem to run different with the new foam filter oil?

Comment

[quote=tconroy;566689 Hey Dave,I ran some sea foam in the gas 1 whole bottle for 1 tank as per their instructions and it is idling perfect and with the new filter oil it has a lot more pep to it!Even quieter on the top end at idle.Now all I have to do is try to get the o-rings in the float bowl valve seats replaced as soon as i get them in the mail from Robert Barr.That should fix the gas entering the airbox.It not going in the oil.To also make sure it doesnt,I proped the front wheel off the ground. Also will be picking up my proggressive fork springs next week,they just got ordered today.Does your bike seem to run different with the new foam filter oil?[/quote]

Great...Nothing like an easy fix... \\/ Let me know how the progressive springs work, I've been thinking of this option as well and would sure like some feedback on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                    Great...Nothing like an easy fix... \\/ Let me know how the progressive springs work, I've been thinking of this option as well and would sure like some feedback on that.
                    I have no idea how or why but do you suppose a dirty air filter could cause gas to be drawn into the airbox?OI cannot figure this one out.My petcock works fine and the bike runs great.Since I cleaned my air filter and re oiled with the "right stuff" i seem to have mysteriously fixed the small amount of leaky gas in the air box.Im a little gun shy and have been checking for gas every hour.I rode hard today at all kinds of speed from 25 to 75 and all rpms up to 7 g's and still get no gas or gas smell in the airbox.Using the 10/40 oil it just sat at the bottom of the filter in a puddle and seem to be pulled into the air box and out the drain hose.I am dumbfounded!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X