Tube arch always bursting!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tube arch always bursting!!

i have a gs400 and i have a spoked back wheel.each time i need to change the tube it goes flat by the next morning,i have used brand new tubes and it has still happened,the air peice base is always becoming ripped.i want to know if i am supposed to use 3.25/3.50-18 for the rear or 4.25/4.50-18,and am i supposed to leave a nut at the base where the washer is?because i think there is quite a big gap between the rim and the hight of the spoke end that is protruding.

any info would be greatly appreciated,thanks

p.s do you know any where that i can buy a spoke less rear tire for a gs400 1979?so i can start using tubeless tires.

You may be able to use the rear tire and rim from a later model gs400.

Now onto changing a tire with a tube.

The best method I have ever used is to mount the tire on the rim first, then take the tube and coat it in baby powder or talcum powder. line everything up properly and then just slip the tube into the tire. Once the tube is in fill it about 1/4 with air and then masage the tire with your hands to make sure the tube is not bunched inside. Then fill to whatever you want your pressure to be.

Allways make sure that the piece or rubber used to cover the spokes on the inside of the rim is in good shape. As for the proper tube size you could allways ask a Suzuki dealer or the tire manufacturer

Comment

thanks for the info on the wheels .i have checked the rubber inside and it is in good shape.i used talcum powder aswell,unfortunately i dont have a suzuki dealer nearby in the bahamas.but thx for all the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph Masnyk View Post
        i have a gs400 and i have a spoked back wheel.each time i need to change the tube it goes flat by the next morning,i have used brand new tubes and it has still happened,the air peice base is always becoming ripped.i want to know if i am supposed to use 3.25/3.50-18 for the rear or 4.25/4.50-18,and am i supposed to leave a nut at the base where the washer is?because i think there is quite a big gap between the rim and the hight of the spoke end that is protruding.

p.s do you know any where that i can buy a spoke less rear tire for a gs400 1979?so i can start using tubeless tires.
        I think what's happening is you are "pinching" the inner tube upon installation of the 2nd half of the tire bead. This is where 90% of "pinch flats" occur. I've changed about 70 tires over the past 25 years, and still ocassionally pinch a tube. Tip #1, do NOT use jumbo screwdrivers!!! You need a quality pair of 16" long M/C tire spoons. Screwdrivers will guarantee a pinch. Tip 2, use dish soap to lube the tire and help it slip over the rim easier. Tip #3 throw the rubber spoke protector strip in the trash, and run severall layers of duct tape over the spokes. This seals out moisture from getting in your wheel and rusting the crap out of your spokes. Duct tape stays put also when installing a tube, the rubber strip tends to move around and possibly uncover the spokes which can friction rub a hole in the tube. Try to keep the tube forced downward in the rim recess when spooning the tire over the rim. Letting the tube get close to the tire spoon will surely result in a pinch. Lastly, let your tire sit in the hot sun for severall hours. This softens the tire making it stretch over the rim easier.
        Last edited by Guest; 12-27-2006, 12:52 PM.

Comment

What size tyre are you running on the rear?? that will decide the size tube you need.

Dink

Comment

Joseph Masnyk: the tube must be the exact size for the tire you are using; too small and your tire wont get the proper support, too large and you are likely to wear it out before its time. the exact size fills up all the available space. whether or not you use oldschool or road clam, your tire will need replacing on a regular basis. try both, see which is best for your particular circumstances.
            in addition to all oldschool and road clam have instructed you to do, if you could sense their tone it would be one of extreme caution with each move from the time your spoons touch the rim until the air goes into the tube. good luck and safe riding, ikazuki

Comment

Also spend the extra $3-4 dollars & get the good tubes, Install the tube & inflate to 20 lbs, make sure rinkles are out & the stem is aligned to the rim. remove the valve core & finish the installing the other bead.

Comment

also http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph Masnyk View Post

Well, if the air valve being ripped off is always the culprit...sounds like the tube is probably too small and it is causing the the tire to rotate on the rim under braking and acceleration. So tube size, proper inflation and proper installation are all part of the equation. I've seen this happen more than a few times on bikes before. If you don't want to keep messing with it, is there at least a shop near you that could do a professional install for you?

Comment

thx

thx,you were right,the tube size was not matching the box size,so i was putting in a tire which was too small.thanks,jo

Comment

Working...
                    X