X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offbeat Battery Question

hi, hope you all had a great christmas

heres an odd question to test the electrical experts

i bought a battery car for my 4 yr old daughter but its a little slow, im glad she has a good sense of humour!!!

my question is this, the charging rate for the battery is 7v 0.8A

im thinking a higher voltage battery would make the motor turn faster but im worried that higher amps would burn it out.

i want to try a 12v bike battery but without the relevant knowledge i dont want to risk it

the car itself was quite cheap so id rather have some fun with it than take it back

any suggestions?
    Last edited by Guest; 12-26-2006, 01:47 PM. Reason: email

If the system is 7Vdc...

...You really don't want to apply 12 Vdc to it; would probably burn up the motor, with the attendant smoke and fire!
    1979 GS 1000

Comment

so a bigger motor too? hmmmm wheres my lawn mower lol

Comment

Give it a shot...

You said the car was cheap, so why not? If it fries then you need a 12v motor. I have converted 6v cars to 12v electrical systems, 6 volt fan motors, wiper motors, etc usually work much faster and usually don't burn up.
        I say go for it...Usually what burns up a motor loading it too much, like if it stops going up a hill and you keep trying to go. 12 volts would certainly burn it up faster if it was stopped like this.
        And by all means let us know what happens.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

the gs electrical system is a 12 volt system to start with. what model bike do you have?
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

ah im tempted now

i have a gs450L but its not the bike i was querying :-D

Comment

Originally posted by prxbadger View Post
              hi, hope you all had a great christmas

heres an odd question to test the electrical experts

i bought a battery car for my 4 yr old daughter but its a little slow, im glad she has a good sense of humour!!!

my question is this, the charging rate for the battery is 7v 0.8A

im thinking a higher voltage battery would make the motor turn faster but im worried that higher amps would burn it out.

i want to try a 12v bike battery but without the relevant knowledge i dont want to risk it

the car itself was quite cheap so id rather have some fun with it than take it back

any suggestions?
              Leave it alone. The original battery is 6V. Hooking up a 12V battery to the motor will burn it out. Let your daughter enjoy playing with her car, and experiment on something else.

Comment

I worked for Mattel at the Plant where "Power Wheels" were Built Before production was shipped to Mexico. WE had a Recall several Years ago after some Units Caught Fire and in almost Every Case someone Had installed a Larger Battery OR Defeated the Safety Cutoff. I would NOT Reccomend doing that.
                Last edited by marvinsc; 12-26-2006, 07:27 PM. Reason: sp
                sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                  I worked fot Mattel at the Plant where "Power Wheels" were Built Before production was shipped to Mexico. WE had a Recall several Years ago after some Units Caught Fire and in almost Every Case someone Had installed a Larger Battery OR Defeated the Safety Cutoff. I would NOT Reccomend doing that.

ok, lesson learnt i think. might see if i can get a more powerful car altogether.

this is why i posted, cos i simply dont know enough about the elusive electrics

Comment

if you want more time running, hook two batteries in parallel if possible, or get two batteries with a higher amp hour rating and hook in parallel, or get a little bigger battery thats 6 volts with a higher amp hour that will fit or you can make fit.

Comment

Originally posted by saddlewarmer View Post
                      if you want more time running, hook two batteries in parallel if possible, or get two batteries with a higher amp hour rating and hook in parallel, or get a little bigger battery thats 6 volts with a higher amp hour that will fit or you can make fit.

hi, the car itself is painfully slow, prob 1 mile per hr and -2 uphill lol

i need more speed/power

Comment

Wait, WHO needs more power?

Isn't the car your daughter's? Is SHE the one asking for faster, or is this just becoming another GS optimization project? Believe me, I know what it's like to "just want a little more performance, efficiency,etc." It's part of this addiction we ALL have here on the GSResources!
                        1979 GS 1000

Comment

lol, yes it is her, she manages a little 'what the hell did you buy' smile whenever she uses it....

she finds it greatly amusing to stop and pretend its not working, thereby adding another hour to a 5 minute journey

Comment

Yes, I understand!

I have two daughters, and they really can wrap us around their little fingers! And it seems the desire for MORE SPEED does come from her. Looks like her velocity requirements is inherited!
                            1979 GS 1000

Comment

Usually 10 % is the safetu range for electrical devices. Get an electric window motor or a seat motor from a car. I used the electric window from the tailgate of a station wagon thing for a robot project about 20 years ago. They are strong usually.

Comment

Working...
                              X