Inside clocks dirty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside clocks dirty

Has anyone stripped out the instrument cluster (clocks to me) ??? Mine are dirty on the inside, is there a way of cleaning them by opening up the seals to get the glass out?? Phil. (81 GS1000G, with UK clocks, 140MPH)

Originally posted by feelergaugephil View Post
    Has anyone stripped out the instrument cluster (clocks to me) ??? Mine are dirty on the inside, is there a way of cleaning them by opening up the seals to get the glass out?? Phil. (81 GS1000G, with UK clocks, 140MPH)
    Go to the home page and on the left towards the bottom you will find "in the garage". That will tell you how to get inside your gauges.

Comment

I just did mine (80 GS1000G). What I did was cut the metal trim ring. Took it off completely. Then the lense and seal just come right off. Cleaned up the lenses and mechanisms, then placed the seal and lense on. You could probabaly come up with some sealant or what not to make them stay put. I just wrapped the two pieces back together with elctrical tape. Laugh if you want, but it will probably last forever.
      They sit in the cluster just fine, and don't look different enough for me to care. The way listed in the link is probably better, but thought I would throw in my .02.
      Good luck.

Comment

I have taken the lens off a clock by uncrimping the metal ring. If you do it carefully it works OK and can be reseated easily.

I started with a small screwdriver to push the metal edge away from the body, then when it started to lift I could get under it and gently pry it upwards. Once it was on the way I used pliers to get it evenly clear of the plastic and it lifts away easily.

Putting it back on was just as easy. The only difference is that the clean crimp was now a deckled crimp. It can't be seen when it is in the housing.

Kim

Comment

Working...
        X