Need mechanic for GS650G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need mechanic for GS650G

Hi...bike looks to be in good shape, but I would like to get it to a mechanic to give it a once over before I begin to ride (First time rider). I am aware of a fuel leak (from the carbs?) possibly because I am not sure how to shut off the gas! Did I mention I am a newbie at this? :-D I am in southern California (Mission Viejo) and just would like someone to give me an honest opinion of this bike.
    Thanks!

I got lucky and found out that the guy who owns the bar I shoot pool for owns a chopper shop...he looked it over before I got it inspected and told me what I needed to get the sticker. Start asking some of you friends...you'll be suprised at who is in to bikes and can help.

Welcome to the resource!
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Stock petcock does not have an off, It is vacuum operated. The carbs usually leak because they need cleaning or the needle seat O ring is bad

Comment

Thanks for the info on the petcock. I don't want to get taken to the cleaners for repairs...how much should I expect to pay to clean/fix the carbs? Do you have a ballpark of how much it should cost for someone just to "look" over the bike, clean the carbs, and give me the "OK...it's safe" stamp of approval?

Comment

Carb cleaning is an expensive job if you have it done. Be prepared for the shock. Peruse this site for some ballpark figures:

Shops, prices, and quality of service vary widely. Look here for a how to and consider doing it yourself:

Comment

TPO of my bike paid $135. GS 1000G. I can give you the guys phone number if interested. Not used him myself. Think he's just a one man band.

I'm in Redondo Beach. Not a million miles away.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
            X