Phantom miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phantom miss

Out riding today returning christmas gifts when the bike started missing at low rpms. Idle to about quarter throttle. Missing and popping. I thought since the bike sat awhile(a couple of weeks) that the battery was low. Charged the battery and the problem persists. Thought maybe I fouled the plugs with the low battery so I pulled them and they all looked ok. I cleaned them anyway and regapped them. Checked spark on all leads and all is well. Put the plugs back in and the issue is still there. I'm driving around the neighborhood spitting and coughing and it mysteriously starts running good.
    Could I have cleaned the already clean plugs while running it?
    Maybe I had a clogged pilot circuit?
    Stuck slide?
    I'm pretty sure it is fuel related because of the strong spark from all leads and it ran like a son of a gun after quarter throttle.
    Weird huh
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Chef
    You probably picked up some crap in one of your pilot jets. Sometimes they clear after a backfire. You then drive around for a period until it picks up again. It may not happen again for weeks. How long since the carbs/fuel system were last cleaned? Do you run an inline filter?
    Cheers
    :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

These carbs have been gone through. Mr. Barr's o-rings, Berrymans, new gaskets, a Dyno jet stage 3 and a new petcock. I did all this about a year ago but I ride almost on a daily basis so no sitting. The two weeks was a untypical time to sit.
      No inline fuel filter.
      Thanks for your response.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Put the plugs back in and the issue is still there. I'm driving around the neighborhood spitting and coughing and it mysteriously starts running good.

Only thing I can think of is a small amount of moisture in the fuel system, may have had enough of a rest for the water/ vapor to settle out. That and the GS gods were trying to scare you into riding it more often!! :-D

Comment

Dave could be right about the water too, especially if you left the bike exposed to the elements over that two weeks.
          Drain your carb bowls individually into a glass and check for any dirt/rust particles. This will confirm the likelyhood of you having had a partial blockage to a jet. If you find any particles, you may need to pull the carbs and blow the passages out with compressed air. Also fit an effective filter.
          Cheers
          :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

About a week ago I got my Katana out and it ran the same way you are describing. It had not been running for about a month. It cleared itself, and all was fine after about a mile or so. I figure the carbs were dry, and the fuel was less than fresh.
            I say run it and see what happens.

Comment

I refueled and put some STP gas treatment and all seems to be well. Thanks for all your responses.

Comment

Working...
              X