rear tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear tire

Hello everyone, I am replaceing the rear tire on 1150e, any suggestion on what is a good tire?, I am not changing anything as far as size goes, the book recomands 130/90/17, I went to find one, there are so many brands and types, I thought I ask the group, before I make a choice.

ard

For you ??

Dunlop GT501 and a matching front would be wonderful
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Search around -- this question has come up a lot lately for some reason.

The Dunlop 501 is a great choice, but is unfortunately not available in 130/90-17.

The Dunlop 491 (in MT90-17) is another excellent choice and is very long-lasting with excellent grip.

The Pirelli Sport Demon has incredible grip and feel, but doesn't last as long.

If you need to save some dough, the Cheng Shin HiMax is a fine tire and an incredible performance/dollar bargain.

And change both tires, too. Front tires wear differently than rears (scalloping and cupping wear instead of an obvious bald stripe), but they do wear out right along with the rears and motorcycle tires should always be changed as a set.
      Last edited by bwringer; 12-27-2006, 08:19 PM.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Rear tire

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

The Dunlop 501 is a great choice, but is unfortunately not available in 130/90-17.

The Dunlop 491 (in MT90-17) is another excellent choice and is very long-lasting with excellent grip.

If you need to save some dough, the Cheng Shin HiMax is a fine tire and an incredible performance/dollar bargain.

And change both tires, too. Front tires wear differently than rears (scalloping and cupping wear instead of an obvious bald stripe), but they do wear out right along with the rears and motorcycle tires should always be changed as a set.

Actually, I did do search, and in fact I read few of your postings about this matter, I was leaning toward the dunlop D205 140/80/17, and I wondered to see if other members have the same opinion,
        As for Radial tires any suggestions about that? like if I have radial in the back and regular in the front? would it be mistake?

Ard

Comment

Rear tire

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

Actually, I did do search, and in fact I read few of your postings about this matter, I was leaning toward the dunlop D205 140/80/17, and I wondered to see if other members have the same opinion,
          As for Radial tires any suggestions about that? like if I have radial in the back and regular in the front? would it be mistake?

Ard

Comment

I just want to know why you can't get a 130/90/V17 in a raised white letter tire. I used to love those Dunlop Qualifiers, but you can't get a RWL in that size!!!
            Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
            87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
            99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
            15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

I just ordered a set of Duro HF-918 Tires . A few guys are running them around here and are quite pleased with the results, especially considering the cost is around $55.00 per tire. My cost (including removal of old skins / mount & balance was $114 OTD).
              At prices like this, I need to get 4,000 miles out of them to be a better value than the Metzlers on my Triumph.

If you check their website, you will see they make a bunch of odd ball sizes - Perfect for us!

Comment

Originally posted by ard View Post

Ard
                Assuming you have the stock size wheels, you're going to be happiest with premium bias ply tires (Pirelli Sport Demons if you're a corner carver) in the stock sizes. The radials are intended for a much wider rim, and the profile will be all wrong, leading to handling problems.

Of course, there are many conversions running around using wheels from a later model GSXR or Bandit, but unless you've done this or are planning it, stick with the stock sizes for the best possible cornering.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

rear tire

I have not done anything on this bike everything is original (as far as the wheels go) this is the first time for a tire, I am replacing the rear tire because the front is in very good shape. I did check prices on the Cheng Shin Hi Max tires wow, they are very reasonable. I am thinking about considering them

ard

Comment

Do you have a 3'' or 3.5'' rim?

I have to say I'm really pleased with the 140 80 17 on my Katana 1150 with 3.5'' rim. My wife's 1150 has one as well, but on a 3'' rim. It appears slightly pinched on her rim.

I've tryed the Pirelli Sport Demons and enjoyed the grip, but found the ride harsh compared to the radial.

I've run mixed bias and radials for years with no issues. Done a few track days as well with this set up.

Her bike currently has a Michelin Macadam front 110 90 16 and Dunlop 205 in the rear.
                    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

hows this for a tread pattern?

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Working...
                      X