Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock problem

Long story, short:

The petcock on my 1980 GS1100E failed in some manner and dumped a huge amount of gas into the carbs, air box, and case. The bigger issue is that this happened over the course of two weeks and three different trips, averaging about 30 miles each. During a stop on the last trip, I discovered gas dripping from the #3 carb boot and the #3 exhaust header.

So, I guessing that I had gas in the oil.

Which leads to the following questions:

(1) Proper procedure is to change the oil and filter at least once ... is there other damage I should be on the lookout for?

(2) I'd like to get a new petcock - one with a lever arm (instead of using a screwdriver) and a reserve. Since I am looking for one that is vacuum actuated, does this mean I am looking for a "dual port" model?

Thanks,
    - Tony

If you want to be really thorough about it, get some cheap oil, your regular oil, and two filters. Change the oil and filter, fill with the cheap stuff. Go for a ride of 50 to 100 miles, change oil and filter again, putting in your regular stuff this time. Depending on how hard you were running with the thinned-out oil, any damage done should be rather minimal.

Replacing the petcock? Why not just order a stock one? I am not intimately familiar with your model bike, but it seems to me that most of the bikes in that era had the type petcock you are looking for. If your bike happens to be different, look at another model that will bolt in to the tank.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

petcocks

edit YOU also need to replace the needle seat O rings in the carbs!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2006, 12:22 AM.

Comment

I like this guy on Ebay and I've been running this petcock with no issues.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I tried writing to this guy on Ebay but he doesn't return emails. The petcock he lists doesn't fit my bike. I tried his rebuild kit and it didn't solve my leak.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Replacing the petcock? Why not just order a stock one?
            Two reasons:

(1) My petcock requires a screwdriver to operate (a real PITA)
            (2) I have no "reserve" setting since my bike has a fuel gauge. It's not really a gauge as much as an estimated guess. I'd much rather have a reserve.

Thanks,
            - Tony

Comment

If you got a gas drip then your problem is a leaking float valve and not the petcock. The petcock can stop gas flow to the carb's but does not control the level in the carbs. You've got a stuck float, a bad needle and/or seat or debris keeping the needle from closing.

Comment

I guess I was not clear, the leak is from the petcock not the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by jeeptrix View Post
                  I guess I was not clear, the leak is from the petcock not the carbs.
                  So, the diaphragm is leaking into the vacuum line, causing the problem and that is why you want it replaced?

My bike has the same petcock as yours also. Mine has also recently started to leak, so will be interested to know what you finally end up with.

Comment

Actually fuel flows out no matter what position the level is in. When on the bike it leaks. What a lousy design. My Valkyrie never had this problem.

Anyone want to buy a almost fully restored GS?

Comment

Actually fuel flows out no matter what position the level is in. When on the bike it leaks. What a lousy design. My Valkyrie never had this problem.

Anyone want to buy a almost fully restored GS?
                      It won't if the petcock is working properly. If yours is letting fuel out through the prime pos. (bike off) great If it lets fuel out in the run or reserve pos. with the bike off, you need a new petckock.
                      Great design, when the bike is off, there is no fuel pressure on the needle and seat. Great design!

Comment

Now the problem is where to find one.

Comment

Now the problem is where to find one.
                          Gerogefix or Bike Bandit will have them.

Comment

Order a replacement stock petcock from your favorite Suzuki parts supplier. Like http://flatoutmotorcycles.com/ . If CRC2 stocks the petcock for your model, they are also an excellent supplier. They're usually $40 - $60.

Suzuki petcocks are quite reliable, but they don't last forever. Bolt on a new one so you can forget about this particular problem for another 20+ years.

The rebuild kits quite often do not contain the correct parts, or contain low-quality junk. Don't waste your time and money screwing around with trying to make mickey mouse repairs to an inexpensive safety-critical component.

I don't know if there is a petcock model with a reserve handle that fits the handle-less bikes. I agree that was a stupid design, but I don't know if you have any alternatives.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

The rebuild kits quite often do not contain the correct parts, or contain low-quality junk. Don't waste your time and money screwing around with trying to make mickey mouse repairs to an inexpensive safety-critical component.
                              One of the most honest statements you'll ever read!!

Comment

Working...
                              X