Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmet shopping

k, looking to buy myself a helmet now.

I'm definately looking for a full, or may be an open face (better visibility)
    I've been searching though, and I'm looking for some onions on different helmet makes. what is the difference between a Zamp, or AFG and a Shoei?

Fit and finish my friend. Went helmet shopping in October during my NJ trip and ended up with a Shoei RF-1000 ...the fit and finish is absolutely superb. Tried on a lot of helmets in the store before finalizing. Bear in mind that a new helmet (whatever the make) should fit as tight as possible on your head as the protective liner does by design conform to the unique curves of your head. Too many people buy helmets that slide around on their head. When I was at the store the Shoei factory rep happened to be there that day and he ensured that I went away with exactly what I wanted: Max protection, comfort and style.
    I've used Shoei before in offshore boat racing and during my Kart Racing years and always was satisfied, only actually relied in it once when I dumped out of the Kart on a raceday.

Comment

First of all, get a full face helmet. Five years ago today I hit a deer and killed her, and it almost killed me. 10 days in the hospital with collapsed lung, broken ribs, broken collarbone and shoulder blade. No damage to my handsome face, though, thanks to the full-face Shoei I had on.

The scratches on the chin part of the helmet are deep and tell the story of what may have happened if I'd been wearing a 3/4 helmet instead. I would've been headed for reconstructive surgery as well.

I replaced that Shoei, an RFR, with another Shoei, an RF-200 I bought on eBay, brand new, for $80. This fall I replaced the RF-200 with a discontinued Shoei model, an RF-105, which I also bought new on eBay. These prices included shipping, by the way.

I get Shoei simply because it's a good brand, and I know that my head is well fitted by an XL-sized Shoei. That's how I can safely get one on line, since I know my size, and this is pretty well standardized within the Shoei brand.

Before my first Shoei I had an AGV full face, which I wore for 7 years. Good helmet also. Shop around and get the one that fits you. Pay attention to the previous post, detailing the importance of a snug fit.

Most importantly, get a full face. Believe me, a full-face helmet does not interfere with visibility.

Comment

Go full face.

Comment

cberkley hit it right on the head "fit & finish my friend". There are a lot of great helmets out there and a lot of lousy ones, too. I have two flip-ups, an HJC Sy-Max & a Nolan N102. Both fit well, both have similar features, etc... but the Nolan is hands down a better product. Yes, I paid a lot more for it.

My wife wears a Scorpion full face, which, had I known about them earlier, I would be wearing too. For around $150 bucks, it's a fine helmet that stacks up against many higher priced helmets.

Personally, I don't worry about Snell approval. There's plenty of debate out there to support Snell or not, but bear in mind that manufacturers have to submit & pay to get that Snell rating, so often times it is a business decision whether they need the helmet Snell rated to increase sales. Others mfrs are content with DOT approaval and it doesn't necesarily mean their helmet is not of as of high quality without being tested by Snell.

That said, make absolutely the helmet is at least DOT approved (those of you in Europe have your own standard).

Make sure you try on any helmet you are considering. Different manufacturers use a different "standard" head shape, so one helment may be more oval inside while another is designed for a more round head.

Comment

I agree, go full face. There is a dead deer on my road today. I could have been the one to contact it.

Like tires, I go with the best helmet I can get.
            I have an Arai full face. It cost me almost $400, but it is cool in summer, quiet, as far as road noise, the shield can be changed in seconds, with my gloves on. Try it on, it must fit snugly, otherwise even the best helmet will fail. Even if you get one mail order, try it on at a dealer, first. Try a friend's helmet on, if they have one you might think you would buy. Ask them about wind noise, even some expensive helmets are noisey and it is a pain to change the face shield on some.

Good luck and take your time finding the one that is best for YOU!!

Comment

Yes, the better helmets are made better. But don't equate expensive helmets with better protection for your head. It's simply not true.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Yes, the better helmets are made better. But don't equate expensive helmets with better protection for your head. It's simply not true.
                Z1R comes to mind.

I like mine.

Comment

That is an incredible article. I also find it interesting how Snell is appearantly trying to cover everything up and discredit the testing. Even a non profit business is still a business.

Comment

I agree with all the above. Full face only. Go to your local bike shop and try on several brands. An XL in one brand may not fit in another brand. Then go online and shop for the one you want. You can usually always buy a helmet online cheaper than in the bike shop.
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Helmet weight and noise are a couple of other things to consider. But I think that proper fit is the most important. You won't know for sure about fit until you've worn it for a couple of rides so try to buy it from a place that allows returns.

For reviews check out

Riders don't realize just how many motorcycle helmets exist. We have reviewed more than 500 helmets since 2000. Hands-on, unbiased!

Comment

i went with an Icon Alliance (rubatone) from newenough.com
                        $55 +s/h

the price is great and after reading reviews on it vs. some of the other sub-$250 helmets out there, i went with the Icon.
                        the finish is a cool rubberized finish that looks like it will handle any day to day abuse.
                        it fits well and has a lot of features that work decent (most of the reviews i read says the interior adj. chin vents are not adjustable, but more of an on/off but i haven't really played with them cus their a bit of a pain to get to).
                        not super light because its a poly/ABS shell but it's much lighter than some of the other non composite glass/fiber full face helmets i've tried on.

for auto racing and karting i have a SA rated Bieffe that i have been really
                        pleased with over the years. it was about $600 new, but i got mine for about $200 becuase it's a Dinez(sp?) replica, and he changed his design so i got it on clearance at the end of the season.
                        it is a composite helmet which is very light and fits well to my personal head shape. I also like where the cheek padding lands. it's comfortable for long wear times.
                        if it was DOT/M approved for use on the motorcycle i'd use it for the street. but alas, it is not so I picked up the Icon.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post

Go full face.
                          I got to agree with you there. When I was about 10, some guy crashed his HD in front of my house. (Not good for 10 year old to see). Anyway, he was wearing a skid lid and although he was going slow when he went over the bars, & his face caught the edge of the wind shield. Pretty much scalped the right side of his face from the chin to his hair line.
                          I was scared to death of motorcycles until I was mature enough to realize the guy was a screw up. I'll never forget seeing it though.
                          Guess what I wear?

Comment

Originally posted by dardoonk View Post
                            I got to agree with you there. When I was about 10, some guy crashed his HD in front of my house. (Not good for 10 year old to see). Anyway, he was wearing a skid lid and although he was going slow when he went over the bars, & his face caught the edge of the wind shield. Pretty much scalped the right side of his face from the chin to his hair line.
                            I was scared to death of motorcycles until I was mature enough to realize the guy was a screw up. I'll never forget seeing it though.
                            Guess what I wear?

Was a witness at 16, to a fatality right in front of me. Gramps pulled out in fornt of me, I hit the breaks and the bike behind me made a move to the left lane to pass. He hit gramps in the front driver side, flew over the hood and hit the street marker sign (it bent nearly to the ground)...Dead!

Never trust a caged driver !!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! !!!

Comment

Buying a helmet was the one time I decided right at the start, to spend as much $$$ as I wanted to. I tried on mostly Shoei's, and Arai's, but some Scorpions and a few others as well.

The Arai's offered at least three models to fit different head shapes, round, oval, and long oval. I spent a number of days visiting different shops to try on helmets. I think the wide variety of shapes that Arai offers really helped me in my search. It wasn't until I tried on the Arai Profile (long oval) that I finally said Ahhhh. I'm sure there must be cheaper options that would work just as well. Different brands, and different models in each brand can offer different shapes, but my head is very happy with the profile.

I will just echo some of the other people in this thread, that I think it's critical to try on different helmets until you find one that feels almost too snug at first, but has no uncomfortable spots that develop after wearing it for fifteen minutes or so.

The cheek pads in my Arai are still a little too tight, but not painful at all. I've been giving them a chance to break in for a while. Arai sells several different thickness's of cheek pads as replacements, and I may end up swapping mine for a thinner set.
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2006, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X