blinker on a GS450L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blinker on a GS450L

I just got a GS450L and the turn signals blink once then stay solid which makes me think the flasher is bad but being new to bikes I am not sure where it is or if it is the same flasher as in a car. thanks in advance for the help and I am also looking for a book on the bike if someone has one for sale.

Hey! I answered you post in the GS Owners thread!:razz:

For the manual, try this. http://www.repairmanuals.com/

Not sure about the blinker. My bikes are older than yours. On my '78's its under the left side cover. On the '80 its under the tank.

Good luck.

Comment

If it's not the relay follow all the grounds and check them. Most times blinker problems are bad grounds. But it is usually right or left. Since both of yours isn't working I'd start with the relay.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Make sure the bulbs were not incorectly replaced. They should be 1073 bulbs.

Comment

What is the difference between the 1073 and an 1156? I have always used 1156 for the single-element signals and 1157 for the dual-filament (front) signals. Have not had a problem so far.

Jeepmedic:
          Make sure that both (front and rear) bulbs are good. If either one is bad, the will not flash. If the bulbs are good, the circuit is not seeing them for some reason. Use a test light to see if there is power coming to the contact in the bottom of the bulb socket. If there is power to both bulbs, it is a ground problem.

If you need help using a test light, let us know, we can walk you through it step by step.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            What is the difference between the 1073 and an 1156? I have always used 1156 for the single-element signals and 1157 for the dual-filament (front) signals. Have not had a problem so far.

Jeepmedic:
            Make sure that both (front and rear) bulbs are good. If either one is bad, the will not flash. If the bulbs are good, the circuit is not seeing them for some reason. Use a test light to see if there is power coming to the contact in the bottom of the bulb socket. If there is power to both bulbs, it is a ground problem.

If you need help using a test light, let us know, we can walk you through it step by step.

For the factory blinker to work there needs to be a bulb rated at 3.4 volts to heat and cause the blinker to work. If that has been replaced with an aftermarket signal stat then other bulbs may also work. I wouldn't know for sure as I always put my bikes back to as close to stock as I can and use genuine original parts.

Comment

Working...
            X