GS550e for sale / or need a CDI igniter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550e for sale / or need a CDI igniter

Have had trouble getting spark for about six months now. Have replaced the igniter once, but something else caused it to go out again. Have replacements for the other parts, but need the igniter to complete the bike again. Have been searching Ebay but no help, and can't find one at any salvage places. If anyone knows where I can get an igniter for an '85 GS550e I'd appreciate hearing it.

If I can't find one soon I'll be selling or parting out the bike. It's a shame because the bike has been a good one.

Thanks.

-RAY

Originally posted by DrDoot View Post
    Have had trouble getting spark for about six months now. Have replaced the igniter once, but something else caused it to go out again. Have replacements for the other parts, but need the igniter to complete the bike again. Have been searching Ebay but no help, and can't find one at any salvage places. If anyone knows where I can get an igniter for an '85 GS550e I'd appreciate hearing it.

If I can't find one soon I'll be selling or parting out the bike. It's a shame because the bike has been a good one.

Thanks.

-RAY
    Did you try CRC 2 in Indianapolis?

CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …

Get their landline# from the site and call 'em, they can generally find a part for you. Nice folks.

Comment

One word. (And a letter.) "Dyna S". $120 at z1enterprises.com makes all your ignition problems go away for good. Do a little searching through the archives and you'll find loads of Dyna S info and recommendations.

Comment

Suzuki used the same ignitor part for different bikes which should help you find a used one easier. Check the online part catalogue to learn which parts interchange.

EDIT: Just checked Alpha Sports for ingitor part number interchangeability and no love. The old 8 valve bikes did interchange the ignitor parts but it seems that went away with the newer bikes. Sorry.
        Last edited by Nessism; 12-29-2006, 02:24 PM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'll second the suggestion to go with the Dyna S. I installed one on my 80 550e and have never had a problem since. The one caveat with a Dyna S and an 85 is that you will need to find a mechanical advance from an older (78-80) 550e for the Dyna to work.

Comment

I had looked into the Dyna S before but was turned off when I found out I had to install a mechanical advancer. It seems its a simple procedure though so I'll give it a shot.

One thing I came across though stated that there were two different manufacturers of the points plates in the 78-80 bikes and that I would have to match the Dyna S system to whichever of the two advancer units I found. Any elaboration on this? How will I know which to get? And I'm only seeing one Dyna S ignition setup for the 78-83(?) bikes?

Comment

Yeah whichever mechanical advance you find will determine which Dyna S you buy. There's Kokusan and Nippon Denso as I recall. Match the Dyna S part to the brand and year of the mechanical advance and things'll mate up. Worst-case scenario you have to put a spacer washer on the shaft so the rotor lines up with the pickup coils. No problem.

Installing the mechanical advance and the Dyna S are both a piece of cake. Seriously, it's really easy stuff. You'll be glad you did it.

Not sure about fitment of the mech advance unit into your timing area but my guess is either type would work...? I'm sure you could find a more definitive answer in the archives though.

Comment

Working...
              X