GS550ES Igniter Unit/Signal Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550ES Igniter Unit/Signal Generator

I have a question for you Geniuses and wonderful mechanics. I put some new Dyna Coils on my bike. One of the diagnosis issues I am trying is to turn the cranshaft by the picups through slowly and watch for a spark on 1 and 4 and then 2 and 3 as the trigger passes the pulse generators. I get nothing, but when I turn the engine over with the starter I get good spark at the plugs. I am still sorting out my carb rebuild and rejetting to go with my Vance and Hines 4 into 1 and that has its challenges. I just want to know if I should get a spark at the plugs when I turn the crank slowly with the key on and the plugs grounded on the head?

Thanks

Make sure your kill switch is set to "run". But yeah, you should get a spark. It'd be pretty easy to miss seeing a single spark though. I think most of the time people hook up a test light for that sort of thing.

Comment

I think the signal generator is a magnetic type unit. It needs to see an abrupt change in the magnetic field to operate correctly.
      When you turn the crank by hand it is just not quick enough.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah, I second what steve says, it's actually what I'm studying in physics right now, they slow movement wouldn't change the feild quickly enough to supply an efficient "pulse" to make it spark

Comment

Working...
        X