Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Petcock to add reserve to my 1980 GS750E....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't speak for a 750E, but I am in the process of doing the same thing on my 80 1100E. I am unable to dry-fit the new one because I have to widen the tank hole for the fuel mast ever so slightly (<1mm).

I compared the old (lever-less) petcock off and compared it to the new one ... there doesn't appear to be any difference in the the vertical heights (from the bottom of the tank toward the airbox).

When I have a chance, I'll pull out the digital caliper and verify.

- Tony

Comment

If you measure the bolt distance you should be able to pickup a matching aftermarket petcock assembly (with or with out the vacume valve).

Ironically while trying to drain my tank (didn't feel like fusing with dumping the tank upside down) I used the PRIME feature on my leverless petcock to drain the tank through one of my carb drains (worked so-so, there's a small vacume leak on the line which leaves the valve open for about a min or 2 before closing, which is more then enough to fill the carbs but not enough to drain the tank). I discovered that I sort of made a "reserve" because of the routing of my fuel line went up higher then the lowest point of my tank and since liquids typically don't travel uphill I was left with some fuel in my tank... Not that I think this is really usefull (try lifting your tank while crusing down the highway) but it's something to keep in mind while looking for a reserve feature and routing your fuel lines; you might get a reserve but if your line is too high it will be near useless.

Comment

My 81 750E has a OEM petcock with a lever. I thought the only dif in the 80 and 81 tanks was the paint job.

Comment

I guess I should have paid a little more attention when looking at the new unit.

After removing the old petcock, cleaning the area with a wire brush (the previous owner went crazy with blue RTV), and widening the hole for the mast, I found that the bolt patterns are not the same (old = 50mm, new = 44mm).

It would have been nice if the fiche would have had any hint that they were not the same ... as it is, if you overlay the two units, the bolt patterns are an exact match.

Argh.

Comment

Get a Pingle. You'll have reserve and a beautifully crafted lifetime fuel tap.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Don't think a Pingle will fit, and I like the vacuum feature...

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
              Get a Pingle. You'll have reserve and a beautifully crafted lifetime fuel tap.
              I just want a reserve position and a lever to turn off, if I want to.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
              X