Clutch cable covers my instruments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch cable covers my instruments

Here's a picture to show and i don't know if its normal or not for the clutch cable to sit over the instrument lights.
    The instrument panel seems to me to be sitting in the right place and the only way i can see out of this would be having the clutch lever sitting very low to allow for the cable to run underneath the panel.
    Any suggestions.

Nick
    The clutch cable should run down through the hole to LEFT of the ignition switch and down the LEFT side of the steering head, then past the ignition coils, it then turns down between number one & two carbs and finally across to the clutch arm.
    BTW whereabouts in OZ are ya??

Dink

Comment

Looks as is Someone Replaced the Cable and Couldn't or Wouldn't Route it Correctly. I'm guessing they used the Wrong Cable.
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Thanks Dink and marvinsc for the quick replies.
        I just checked some pictures in my Clymer manual also and it looks as though i have non original handlebars that are shorter than the original and i think the cable would be too tight to run down to the left of the key switch.
        I just went to a wrecking yard today out of town and bought a few bits and pieces for the bike and i discovered there are a few different parts on the bike that are not original as i just got the bike a couple of years ago and i am slowly fixing it all up as it was a bit of a mess when i got it.
        I'll have to have a play around tomorrow and see what i can do.

Dink
        I am about 20 hours south of you in Warrnambool so if you wouldn't mind coming for a quick ride down tomorrow to show me some pointers it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by nicka View Post
          I just checked some pictures in my Clymer manual also and it looks as though i have non original handlebars that are shorter than the original and i think the cable would be too tight to run down to the left of the key switch.

Nick
          That was my first thought. The clutch lever assembly appears to be too close to the triple clamp. Tough to see for sure from the photo but it's also possible that the bars have been rotated in the clamp and the clutch lever assembly rotated on the bars making it a sharp turn for the cable.

Comment

With those very narrow handlebars, it looks like that routing was about the best option. You would have to put a pretty drastic bend in the cable to get it to route under the instruments, and that would be Not Good.

Stock GS bars are an ergonomic joke, but you might consider a wider set of aftermarket bars if this really bothers you. Sometimes you have to get pretty creative with cable, wire, and hose routing when changing handlebars.

Whoever put these bars on actually found a good solution, but the bars do seem extremely narrow.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by nicka View Post
              Dink
              I am about 20 hours south of you in Warrnambool so if you wouldn't mind coming for a quick ride down tomorrow to show me some pointers it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Nick
              I can put you in touch with several owners in Vic. 20 hours is a touch too far for a day run.

Dink

Comment

Working...
              X