Alternator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator question

I`m going to make myself look really stupid here, but electrickery has never been my strongpoint !. If you`ve read my previous postings, you`ll know about my GS750 starting problems. Carbs are getting fuel ok, spark at plugs ok (although not what I`d call a fat blue spark). Compression is low so I think I`ll need to take the head off, but before doing so want to check all possibilities. Daft question then.....would a dodgy alternator have any effect on starting. I`ve always thought that on starting the power is drawn direct from the battery, but like I said I am not electrically minded so thought I`d ask. I know that a spark at the plug in open air does`nt mean for sure that it will happen in the cylinder. The battery is fully charged, but I did wonder whether the starter might be drawing its power from there with not enough left over for a good spark at the plugs. I guess I`m clutching at straws here, but thought I`d fire off the question anyway !.
    "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
    1978 GS750
    1979 GS750 chop
    1979 GS550
    2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
    2000 Enfield Bullet 500
    1992 XV750 Virago
    2016 Harley 883 Iron

First things first. All Suzuki's (including the new ones) use stators (AC current s generated, and then rectified to DC) not altenators (DC current generators)
    The most important issue is the weak spark, if it doesnt look strong in the open air it will be even weaker under compression. So you need to check that the coils are receiving 12 volts AT ALL TIMES!!! i.e. with the ignition on; motor not running, during start up etc.
    The regulator/ rectifier is a weak point on these bikes!!!!
    If you go to the home page look for "The stator papers" and run through them, them check clean and tighten EVERY earth on the bike, add an extra one from the rec/reg directly to the negative post of the battery.

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
      First things first. All Suzuki's (including the new ones) use stators (AC current s generated, and then rectified to DC) not altenators (DC current generators)
      The most important issue is the weak spark, if it doesnt look strong in the open air it will be even weaker under compression. So you need to check that the coils are receiving 12 volts AT ALL TIMES!!! i.e. with the ignition on; motor not running, during start up etc.
      The regulator/ rectifier is a weak point on these bikes!!!!
      If you go to the home page look for "The stator papers" and run through them, them check clean and tighten EVERY earth on the bike, add an extra one from the rec/reg directly to the negative post of the battery.

Dink
      I think this has been covered before, but there is still a misunderstanding. All Suzukis use alternators. All alternators generate AC voltage/current, not DC. AC stands for alternating current, thus alternator. All AC (alternator) and DC generators have stators and rotors as their component parts.

A DC generator uses a commutator and brushes to keep current flowing in the same direction. A starter motor is a DC generator in a reverse application. Instead of turning a generator to create DC current, DC current is applied through the brushes and commutator to turn the starter motor.

See Electrical Generator - AC or DC and Electrical Generator for more information.

Comment

Originally posted by tomo View Post
        I`m going to make myself look really stupid here, but electrickery has never been my strongpoint !. If you`ve read my previous postings, you`ll know about my GS750 starting problems. Carbs are getting fuel ok, spark at plugs ok (although not what I`d call a fat blue spark). Compression is low so I think I`ll need to take the head off, but before doing so want to check all possibilities. Daft question then.....would a dodgy alternator have any effect on starting. I`ve always thought that on starting the power is drawn direct from the battery, but like I said I am not electrically minded so thought I`d ask. I know that a spark at the plug in open air does`nt mean for sure that it will happen in the cylinder. The battery is fully charged, but I did wonder whether the starter might be drawing its power from there with not enough left over for a good spark at the plugs. I guess I`m clutching at straws here, but thought I`d fire off the question anyway !.
        The alternator doesn't have any effect until the engine starts. If your battery is fully charged, the alternator (good or bad) would have no effect on starting.

Comment

Thanks Phillip. I always learn something from reading your posts.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You're very welcome, Bill. Thanks for the kind words.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I suspected the alternator would`nt play a role in starting, but just needed the confirmation. Oh well, looks like I`ll have to dust off the spanners, get the wife some chocolates and vanish into the garage to start stripping the cylinder head !.
              1978 GS750
              1979 GS750 chop
              1979 GS550
              2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
              2000 Enfield Bullet 500
              1992 XV750 Virago
              2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Originally posted by tomo View Post
                Thanks everyone, I suspected the alternator would`nt play a role in starting, but just needed the confirmation. Oh well, looks like I`ll have to dust off the spanners, get the wife some chocolates and vanish into the garage to start stripping the cylinder head !.
                Why do you need to strip the cylinder head to check the voltage at the coils??

Dink

Comment

In regards your starting problem . I once went through what you have only to find that the vacumm line to the petcock was broken . as some as i fixed it off it started . on my bike I took all the grounds around the center of the bike and connected them all by extending wires to one ground lug and used a star washer . The coils can lose alot of their performance from a bad ground.

Comment

Also before you strip the head, check the valve clearances on a cold engine. The specified clearance is VERY SMALL for these engines, so it does not take very much to keep them from closing completely. If the valves do not close completely, compression will be low and it will be hard to start.

The specs on my 650 and my 850 call for .001" to .003" on all valves, and I imagine that your 750 is probably the same. Setting them toward the larger side of the tolerance will assure that the valves are closing and will extend adjustment intervals. The minimal extra noise is not noticed once on the road.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I`ll check out connections again and the valve clearances before I look at the head. Dink, I did`t mean I was taking the head off to check the alternator. Its just that I`ve checked all the electrics and fuel system and they seem ok but she still won`t fire up. I was just asking about whether the alternator might affect starting if it is dodgy. I think I need to whip off the head to check the valve seats and bores because the compression is pretty low.
                      1978 GS750
                      1979 GS750 chop
                      1979 GS550
                      2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
                      2000 Enfield Bullet 500
                      1992 XV750 Virago
                      2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Weak spark will have a huge effect on starting,fix that first. Then check valve clearences. What were your compression readings??

Dink

Comment

Compression readings if I remember right were 55, 55, 65 & 75psi. I dropped a bit of oil in each pot but it only improved the compression by a few psi. Just checked the spark plugs again, not sure about the spark produced. Can see it in daylight ok but I would`nt describe it as a fat blue spark.
                          1978 GS750
                          1979 GS750 chop
                          1979 GS550
                          2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
                          2000 Enfield Bullet 500
                          1992 XV750 Virago
                          2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Forget everything we said pull the motor apart and bore it out oversize, fit new pistons and rings,whilst you are ibnthere check out your gearshaft bearings.

Dink

Comment

Did you check compression with throttle fully open? When warm?
                              If it only rose a little after adding oil then it's head troubles.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X