gs850 re-jetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs850 re-jetting

1986 gs 850 i have just purchased a motad 4-1 and am also thinking of a k&n filter can anybody give me some advice on re-jetting please

Are you going with K&N individual pod filters or one in the airbox.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

just one in the airbox

Comment

Most websites for the exhaust will give jetting suggestions. I know that the Kerker and V&H are usually spot on.
        You will have to bump up your main jet and raise your needle a notch or two. Some even have to bump up the pilot jet one.
        Mikuni jets run in 2.5 increments. I was going to help you with jet sizes but I can't seem to find an 86 850.
        You really don't have to rejet for an airbox K&N filter but a 4-1 you will.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by robbo View Post
          1986 gs 850 i have just purchased a motad 4-1 and am also thinking of a k&n filter can anybody give me some advice on re-jetting please
          I have a 82 GS 850 gz with a 4-1 transac system, should be the same carbs as yours. 32 mm cv:s . Standard jets are 115 my GS is running fine with 120 jets fitted I didnt fined it nessasary to raise the needles at all . I also have the standard air box .

Comment

Per a discussion I had with a factory rep, it seems as though the Motad will breath only slightly better than a factory setup. Based on decible levels, the stock bike should have been around 80 max while the Motad is rated at 84 decibels. I could be wrong, but thats probably a good indication that jetting would be similar to having the stock pipes along with whatever airbox mods you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
              I have a 82 GS 850 gz with a 4-1 transac system, should be the same carbs as yours. 32 mm cv:s . Standard jets are 115 my GS is running fine with 120 jets fitted I didnt fined it nessasary to raise the needles at all . I also have the standard air box .
              I was thinking one full size up too would be enough for that exhaust. 120's.
              Do throttle chop/plug test at 1/3 throttle to see if the jet needles need to be richer.
              A little richer (additional 1/2 turn?) out on the mixture screws should be enough for any pilot circuit issues.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
              X