Speedometer drive & maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer drive & maintenance

A quick question about speedo drive and front wheel bearings.
    The speedomenter drive on my '82 GS750TZ just went out--cable and speedometer fine, just the drive. Since I have to pull the front wheel anyway, 2 questions for you wizened heads of GS knowledge: 1)are there any "user servicable parts inside"? i.e. any chance of fixing the thing? And 2) my Clymer manual says that servicing the drive should be done "when the front bearings are serviced". I've had the 750TZ about 2 years and 7,000 of its 40K miles, and have no idea about the last time they were serviced. Is it about time for the bearings? (the Clymer doesn't exactly say how often those bearings are supposed to be serviced!).
    Thanks for any and all advice!!!

No parts are supplied for the speedo drive, replace only. If you have any doubt about the wheel brgs Change them.

Comment

speedo drive

Ditto with the bearings. You need circlip plyers to remove the worm drive from the speedo housing to see what is wrong but thats just to satisfy ure curiousity to see how it works.

Comment

my speedo drive was making some noise so I took it off and checked it out. It has a seal on it so its hard to oil, but I took it apart, cleaned it real well and soaked it in oil for a while and now it works fine.

Comment

Thanks! No real doubt about the bearings (front wheel's given me no problems) just wondering about maintenance interval (not in Clymer), and whether they "age" as fast as the speedo drive.

Comment

Thanks for the advice! Speedo drive not making ANY noise now--just dead in the water!

Comment

Curiosity, yes; circlips, no. Doubt it's worth the expense! Thanks for the input!

Comment

It is called a speedo gear box according to Bikebandits micro-fiche. They are still available but are a bit pricey at about $60.
                I'm sure you can find one on Ebay or a savage yard for less.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  It is called a speedo gear box according to Bikebandits micro-fiche. They are still available but are a bit pricey at about $60.
                  I'm sure you can find one on Ebay or a savage yard for less.
                  A savage yard? Man I dont know if I would want to go there or not!!!! Im having a hard enough time trying to keep the bears out of the garage chef!!! LOL!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
                    A savage yard? Man I dont know if I would want to go there or not!!!! Im having a hard enough time trying to keep the bears out of the garage chef!!! LOL!!!!
                    Man, now that's a play on fatfingers.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

did you ever get it fixed?

I have a 82 gs450L myself and have the same problem now. The speedo was making all sorts of noises then it completly died . I took the cable off and checked it and it seemed fine then I hooked it back up to the speedometer and used the trusty black and decker and sure enough the speedo was working just fine so its the speedo drive gear.

Now how hard and what do you have to do to change that out? I am new at motorcycleing and have no idea what I would need to do. Did you ever find the part? I am having a hard time locating it . everyone I call tells me if its over 10 years old forget about it. My bike runs good and looks decent but I need to know how far I am riding so I can figure out my gas since there is no gas gage and the police are a pain. grrrr :-D

Comment

Working...
                      X