stiff clutch below 4k rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stiff clutch below 4k rpm

when first leaving my house i find the clutch near impossible to upshift if below 4k rpm. but above 4k it shifts easily. downshifting is also easy. the problem seems to go away after i've been riding for a few minutes.
    this is while riding in cold weather ~30-35F

is this normal, or are new clutch parts in my future?

Before panicking, change your oil. Make sure you use a plane-jane dino-juice type of oil without any weird additives. The thicker you go, the harder your shifts will be, especially when it's cold. A certain amount of hard shifting/clutch operation is very normal for these bikes, especially when they aren't 100% warmed up yet.

Also make sure your clutch cable is adjusted per factory specs.

Doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about, though. These are wet clutches, so they behave differently depending on the type and temperature of the oil.

Comment

already changed the oil, used plain 10-w40. and that's all that's been used AFAIK. This is my first motorcycle and i'm not familiar with wet clutches. good to know that it's normal. thanks.

Comment

What year and model? Seems you have clutch operation confused with a transmission. Your clutch is lever is hard to pull or your tranny is hard to shift. If your tranny is hard to shift when cold check your clutch adjustment. Does your bike want to "walk" in first gear when stopped at idle? You need a little play in your clutch lever. Too tight of a clutch cable adjustment will net your symptoms.

Do you have a repair manual?
        If not get one.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by mordantmonkey View Post
          already changed the oil, used plain 10-w40. and that's all that's been used AFAIK. This is my first motorcycle and i'm not familiar with wet clutches. good to know that it's normal. thanks.
          i always use 10w40 suzuki motorcycle oil. I would not use regular car oil.Some may say thats ok but i prefer motorcycle oil.

Comment

didn't know there was a difference between motorcycle oil and car oil. i thought oil weight was oil weight.

sorry, didn't specify yeah the transmission lever is hard to shift. there is almost no freeplay, so hopefully the cable adjustment will work.

Comment

Originally posted by mordantmonkey View Post
              didn't know there was a difference between motorcycle oil and car oil. i thought oil weight was oil weight.

sorry, didn't specify yeah the transmission lever is hard to shift. there is almost no freeplay, so hopefully the cable adjustment will work.
              Alot of car oils have additves that are not good for the wet clutch systems in these bikes.I will wait to let others chime in on this topic.If it was my bike I would change to motorcycle oil from anywhere I could get it.i buy mine at Donnel's suzuki on 40 hwy.Even advanced auto and wally world has some.Adjust your clutch cable for 1/8 inch of freeplay and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

What year and model do you have? Some GS bikes have only a cable adjustment which is a lever type on top of the clutch cover. Others have a seperate adjustment that is under the sprocket cover.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I've been using Castrol GTX 10-40w. TPO used it too, seems to be ok. Plenty of miles on the bike.

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Its a 79 550 EN he is talking about.i dont know much about these bikes.I just sold a 79 750 with the 2 cable throttle and the clutch adjustment in the side case.Nothing like my 83 650.

Comment

[QUOTE=mordantmonkey;569438]didn't know there was a difference between motorcycle oil and car oil. i thought oil weight was oil weight.

sorry, didn't specify yeah the transmission lever is hard to shift. there is almost no freeplay, so hopefully the cable adjustment will work.Have you ordered a clymersmanual yet? That the first thing I would do.I will be out riding this weekend if ya want to meet somewhere close to your house.It would be easier to answer your questions if the bike was right there.I also carry enough tools on my bike to do just about anything except rebuild the engine.i would like to get the other kc gs'rs out for a ride also.We have a yahoo group page thats called kc-gs.We have 7 members now.Ya might want to go there and sign up and join that way you will know people in the area with gs's.

Comment

Thats good oil.It's the only kind they will let me use in my honda if I want to keep my warranty from being voided.

Comment

IN very cold weather I would say it's normal for the clutch to drag slightly.
                          Just give it a few minutes. I usually work the clutch a few time before putting it into gear when cold

Comment

The oils you want to avoid will have the words "Energy Conserving" in the API seal. I have only seen this in 30-weight and lighter oils. A 10w-40 should be OK.

I have been using Shell Rotella T Synthetic (in the BLUE jug) in my bikes for the last 3 or 4 years. Used to use Mobil 1, but it's hard to find around here. Wal-Mart carries the Rotella for $15 and change for a gallon jug.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
                              It's the only kind they will let me use in my honda if I want to keep my warranty from being voided.
                              I am under the impression that if a manufacturer is forcing you to use a particular product to maintain the warranty, then they are to provide it for you, under warranty. I believe that if you read the law, they can set specifications. As long as what you buy meets those specs, you should be fine.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X