valve clearances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve clearances

hi i need advice on how to do the inlet valve clearances on a gsx550 1983 the dog still wont run cleaned carbs twice
    fitted new mains
    new valveseat o rings
    new air filter
    new oil
    new plugs
    new plug caps
    new one coil left
    new battery
    new fuel
    set up carbs etc still refuse to fire WHY andy

Got Spark???

Got compression?
    Got gas?
    Did it run before you messed with it?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

hi it has good compression and sort of ran when i got it so as it had stood for two years i stripped and cleaned the cabs it ran fine when the carbs were put back on it 12 hrs later nothing turns over but does not run sparks ox big hammer time masber cheers andy

Comment

Fresh gas in the tank?

Timing right?
        Coils hooked up correctly?
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

hi yes many thanks i ve have the coils fitted the right way the timming is ok good spak plug colour fine but damn thing

Comment

Originally posted by gs425e View Post
            does not run sparks ox big hammer time masber cheers andy
            We're having a little trouble deciphering this. We speak English here, more or less.

Anyway, try shutting off the fuel supply (remove vacuum from petcock, or pinch off fuel supply line). Just because you're getting fuel doesn't mean you're getting atomized fuel.

Now, from there, with intake filter(s) in place & intact, spray some ether into the inlet area of the airbox. No need to go overboard.

If your engine has compression and spark, and you spray ether into the airbox, it almost has to start. It's almost in defiance of the laws of physics in not starting.

Try the above with a good running bump start, to crank the engine at a reasonable speed for several seconds. When (not if) it returns to life, repeat a few times and then restore the fuel supply.
            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
            __________________________________________________ ______________________
            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

hi sorry my spelling is not good i am only 16, so if the bike actually decides to run with a bump what will that tell me whats wrong with it andy

Comment

Working...
              X