Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know the diameter for the PVC fork upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know the diameter for the PVC fork upgrade?

I got my hog titled and now I'm ready to put some more money and time into it. Does anyone know what size diameter PVC I need to put a spacer in there to compress my springs? Also, what length is recommended? I think I will start with 1 inch. I will post pics of the before and after for the bike, it's probably going to be night and day when I'm done! Thanks, Joe

Originally posted by wrsimmons21 View Post
    I got my hog titled and now I'm ready to put some more money and time into it. Does anyone know what size diameter PVC I need to put a spacer in there to compress my springs? Also, what length is recommended? I think I will start with 1 inch. I will post pics of the before and after for the bike, it's probably going to be night and day when I'm done! Thanks, Joe
    Joe, I'm kind of confused on what you are asking here...is this for the spacer on the front fork springs to make the front suspension stiffer?

Hap

Comment

yeah he's asking about the front forks from what I read...

The PVC in my '83 550E is 1/2"... I went crazy and decided I wanted a way stiff ride after throwing a set of progressive front springs in and have 2.5" up there. The front end is way to stiff for some folks but I like it...

with no weight on the bike put a wire tie around your fork leg up against the dust cover. Sit on the bike and then get off... This is you "sag". If I recall correctly is should only be 3/4 of an inch to an inch(I may be off)...

start at one inch and do the sag test. Then do it again at half inch increments. Once you get it to where it "should" be tak it for a spin... get used to it do some turning manuevers in a parking lot see if it feels good... if you tighten it up too much or not enough where you don't feel confident.. changing it doesn't buy you too much.

Comment

Skreemer is right about the sag. 3/4 to 1" works well, just be sure you don't bounce on the bike when checking it. Just sit on it gently and bring it up off the side stand. Return it gently to the side stand and measure how far your wire tie moved.

You will need help, but now would be a good time to check the rear suspension, too. Also use the 1" of sag rule of thumb. Measure the length of the rear shock when it's fully extended. Sit on the bike, get it off the side stand. You can bounce if you want to make sure the suspension settles in a "normal" position. Have a helper measure the shock length. Adjust the preload collars if necessary and repeat.

Joe,
        I dont' remember what diameter pipe I used, but you want it to be just a bit smaller than the inside of the fork tube. You also want a fender washer between the spring and the spacer tube to prevent the spring from eating away at the spacer, causing PVC shavings in the tubes.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I used 3/4" PVC for the pre-load spacer. 3/4" long worked for me.
          You want about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" sag when you sit on the bike.
          My bike is a '79 GS1000E and I weigh about 195. Progressive springs and 15 wt oil.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I wouldn't have remembered to put another washer on there to keep the pvc from grinding off inside the forks.

Comment

Consider cutting down the springs and replacing the missing height with your longer spacers. Start with a couple of inches of spring removed and go from there. By removing some coils you stiffen the spring rate, adding more preload to the springs only changes the sag and ride height.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
              X