Cracked dyna coils - typical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked dyna coils - typical?

I was cleaning up a set of used dyna coils today and noticed some stress cracks where the square rod protrudes out of the casing. I would say one has stress cracks and the other has cracks. I got them from a running bike so I suspect they still work. The coils are dated 1/96 and knowing the bike they came off they have seen some use.

Anybody seen this before?
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

I've never had that problem with the Dyna coils I've used. I wonder if maybe loose mounting may have caused the cracks...

Hap

Comment

Dyna coils

Never noticed any problems with mine, They've been on the bike for about six years now with no problems.
      Doze.

Comment

Hey Doze, good to see you, you haven't been around in a while!

Hap

Comment

Thanks guys,

I am going to seal the cracks will silicone, run them and replace if necessary.
          1982 GS1000S Katana
          1982 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by pano View Post
            Thanks guys,

I am going to seal the cracks will silicone, run them and replace if necessary.
            I would not use silicone because it will not keep water out. It may appear to be watertight, but it will not be. The better choice is go to Lowes/Home Depot or a Marina and buy a small tube of 3M 5200. I will guarantee that will stop water intrusion.

Earl
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks Earl
              1982 GS1000S Katana
              1982 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call View Post
                Hey Doze, good to see you, you haven't been around in a while!

Hap
                Funnily enough I was just thinkin the same thing whilst browsing another forum, G'day Doze how goes the 1150? Ever do that article about your ignition swap??

Dink

Comment

Working...
                X