The fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fun

I am still at work waiting for my battery to charge. This morning I got on the bike and all lights lit up but nothing with the starter button. First I checked my fuses. With a voltage light I checked both sides of all fuses and one was flickering so I removed the fuse and it broke apart in my hand. Whew, easy fix. Changed the fuse and the bike started and off to work I go. When I got off work the same thing, no starter. I took out the clutch safety switch and layed a screwdriver on it and it had hope for life. Cleaned it all up and reinstalled it and a no go! Called my wife to bring me my tester, battery charger(it's now dead) and some contact cleaner. Opened up the headlight and checked all the connections and all seemed good. Pulled out the clutch switch and bypassed it altogether. Still no go. Finally got it to fire with a jump and all I did was touch the kill switch and boom it died. Took off the right handle bar switch and cleaned it all up with contact cleaner and it appears to start up ok. Now I'm just waiting for the battery to charge. I should of been out of here two hours ago. Oh well, twenty-six year old electrical systems. YAY!!!:shock:
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Damn dude,...you make it home okay?

Comment

Yeah, got home ok. Have no light for the fuel guage and got hit by a cig going down the highway last night
      Just about ready to go out and check the wiring for the fuel guage light. Had to check my manual.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Yeah, got home ok. Have no light for the fuel guage and got hit by a cig going down the highway last night
        Just about ready to go out and check the wiring for the fuel guage light. Had to check my manual.
        Chef, You need to buy my bike and just keep it as a spare (-:

Comment

Thanks for sharing the fun. Either it won't start, or the fuel gauge won't work, or someone hits you with a cigarette. How much fun can one person have?:? This kind of fun helps to develop a close personal relationship with our motorcycles.

In the immortal words of Rosanne Rosannadanna , its always something.

Comment

Brave

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            You're a brave soul! If it were me, I'd probably be huddled in a corner, weeping uncontrollably.
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Dude... if you're having problems with your bike how are you suppossed to help me fix mine?!?

Contacts are really weird man.... My horn button was hardly working, horns squaking on and off. All I did was spray some wd40 in there in a day later problem is 100 fixed, and has been for a month now. Go figure.

Comment

The kill switch was the culprit. It's running like a champ! Bypassed that clutch switch that I finally got used to but never really liked. Got into the headlight bucket this morning and I pulled the fuel guage light wire out last night in the dark. Works now.

Jeff (jgrodon), It's January! I can think of a great B-day present from you! Not your bike but a great 1166 upgade. :-D But your bike WILL work!

Jeff H. I'm still somewhat competent so no worries m8.

Philip, (in my best Gilda imitation) Never mind.

Chuck, I'm too old to cry. Now I just break stuff*

Comment

Working...
                X