R/R connector keep or loose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/R connector keep or loose?

I am looking at the stock flat connector that plugs into my r/r, and it is a little cooked, so I am thinking, to just cut the frickin' thing off and put on new blade connectors, would that be a good idea and then does it really matter if i change the order of the three yellow wires when I plug them in?
    I suppose i should solder the new connectors on too, right?

The order of the three stator wires makes no difference.

You can crimp the connectors (coat with dielectric grease), crimp and solder the connectors (coat with dielectric grease), or directly solder the wires together (covered with heat-shrinkable tubing). Each method will work if done properly, but crimping and soldering the connectors or directly soldering the wires together are probably the most reliable.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-04-2007, 02:43 AM.

Comment

I'm not a fan of soldering the wires all together since you know someday your going to have a reason to unhook them. I would just replace the connectors with new and call it done,
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

[quote=Clone;570186]I am looking at the stock flat connector that plugs into my r/r, and it is a little cooked, so I am thinking, to just cut the frickin' thing off and put on new blade connectors,

Thats what I did.....

Before

After
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

After seeing that photo it is clear that you have dirt in there, and this is causing resistance to the point of melting the box. This can be dangerous, and must be corrected. You need to change the connectors NOW.

It does not matter whether you use an original connector block or forget the block entirely and just solder new terminals to the wire ends. Just get it done.

Soldering directly to the R/R gains little or nothing as the parts may well have to come apart again. Do cover the connections after the job is done.

I used a Honda R/R on my GK and soldered new connectors to the wires, then taped it. All done.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks ;I'm pulling out the wire cutters and soldering iron tomorrow.:-D

Comment

Working...
            X